-Full Scene-

Ext. Outdoor Pool - Afternoon

It's a sunny, August afternoon. You'd expect more than just two people to be enjoying Lazy Oaks's outdated swimming pool. Then again, Lazy Oaks's residents weren't exactly model citizens. Rows of intentional Birch trees might be the only beautiful thing in sight. An occasional pigeon flutters by and the sound of lawn mowers can be heard in the distance.

FLORA is an older looking woman with a fierce attitude, usually hovering between annoyed and furious. She's wearing a luxurious bonnet over her wig along with a pair of large, dark sunglasses.

HENRY is a husky boy, but Flora would never tell him that. He's a little immature compared to most other eleven year olds. He's dull, and slow to offend. This apartment complex is the closest to 'home' he's ever had. He's wearing neon yellow water wings, and a black garbage bag over his arm to keep water from getting in his cast.

Flora has been napping for thirty or so minutes. She begins to come to.

F
"H-Henry? Henry, Henry!?!"

H
"What?"

F (selfishly)
"Oh thank God."

Henry splashes about the pool awkwardly.

F (to herself)
"How long have we been here?"

Flora checks her phone and quietly exclaims to herself. It's later than she thought.

F
"Time to get out. Come on. Out. We're leaving!"

Flora gets up from the plastic lounge chair.

Henry shuffles to the side ladder and displays his good arm proudly.

H
"My hand is all wrinkly!"

F
"Get out Henry... And please, please tell me you put on sunscreen like I told you to? No? Of course not."

Henry is still smiling. Flora's digs go right through him.

Flora helps him out of the over-chlorinated water and onto the concrete.

F
"Come on baby. They'll be here soon."

INT. Flora's Apartment - Afternoon

Flora sits in a vintage, velvet chair with mahogany legs. HENRY sits near her in a wheelchair, he rolls it back and forth with his foot. A pair of movers are shuffling behind them, bringing out pieces of furniture to load onto their truck. Flora and Henry's eyes are fixed on the television.

Flora is still wearing her sunglasses

The two movers walk behind the pair with a large mattress. The one walking backwards stops and looks at Henry, puzzled.

Mover
"Hey kid. You know it's bad luck to sit in a wheelchair you don't need"

The other mover rolls his eyes.

F
"And who the hell are you exactly?"

M (dryly)
"Hank"

-A beat-

F
"Okay, Hank... And I'm paying you to do what exactly?"

H
"You're not paying me"

Flora isn't looking at him any more.

Other Mover
"Come on Hank. Twooo more houses."

HENRY continues to roll in the wheelchair and the movers exit.

H
"Can we watch Nickelodean?"

F
"No."

H
"MTV?"

F
"God no."

H
"Animal Planet?"

F
"Henry... Animal Planet was made for therapist lobbies and lesbians."

Henry taps his feet on the carpet impatiently. He eventually gets up and goes to the kitchen.

F
"I better not hear you in the cupboards! I'm making tilapia tonight Hen-... are you listening? Hello?? I swear, you go spoiling your dinner-"

Henry peeks his head into the living room, frustrated.

H
"I'm not!!"

Henry can be heard stomping back into the kitchen.

F
"Henry... Hey Henry!"

There's no response.

Int. The Kitchen - Afternoon

Flora enters the kitchen and sees Henry staring into the open fridge. The door is lined with nothing but fortified milkshakes. Vanilla 'Ensure'.

F
"Hey...The fish thawed?"

Henry's eyes are still fixed on the middle shelf.

F
"Oh Henry. You know my- You don't deserve it, I know, I know..."

Flora approaches Henry and hugs him from behind, resting her head on top of his. Her sunglasses fall off revealing dark bags under her eyes, and crow's feet that look a bit too defined for a woman in her early forties.

F
"You're gonna be taller than me I just know it."

Flora gets on her knees to hug Henry tighter.

F
"Oh Henry. My baby boy. My sweet, sweet baby boy. My sweet golden angel baby-"

H
"Mom!!!"

Henry turns around, embarrassed.

F
"What?!"

Flora starts tickling Henry's stomach and they fall to the lacquer floor in a fit of giggling and playful yelps. The fridge quietly shuts as they begin to settle down. They're completely horizontal now, looking into each other's eyes.

F
"Do you... want a cookie?"

H
"The fish?"

F
"I won't tell if you don't."

Int. Flora's bedroom - Afternoon

The audience only sees Flora, Henry, and Hank entering through the narrow doorway. Henry is on his third cookie when Hank hands Flora a clipboard.

Hank
"Sign here and I'll be on my way"

F
"Brilliant"

The audience is shown the rest of the bedroom. Completely empty except a large hospital bed commanding the center. The scribbling of Flora's pen can be heard over the stale silence. Hank leaves the room.

H
"Do you think Dad'll come?"

F
"No I don't Henry."

-A beat-

H
"Now what?"

Flora lifts her sunglasses back to her face.

F
"Well, if I can't talk... Promise me you don't let your idiot uncle tie balloons to the end of it."

END