Six

That night I went down to the gym, later than I usually would. My aim was to avoid as many people as possible, and it almost seemed like I had achieved it when I got there and it was empty. I hopped on to a stationary bike, popping in my earbuds for some Imagine Dragons inspiration. My legs moved in time with the pumping tones of 'Radioactive', and I was completely focused for a full forty minutes before moving over to the elliptical.

The burn in my upper abdominals signalled a change to the floor exercises. Sit-ups, crunches, push-ups, leg-lifts all done to the tune of Fallout Boy and Green Day. I finished up with stretches.

Bending to touch my toes, my heels. I got on my back, lifting both legs into the air, side to side, apart, back together. I put my hands above my head and grounded my feet, lifting my middle into an arch. Straightened, and again bent to touch my toes, when a soaking wet Sheamus walked out of the showers towards the locker rooms in the narrow hall at the back.

Before he passed, he caught sight of me bent over, whistled. "Aren't you looking fine, lass? Not safe for the rest of us 'round here. What're you doing down so late?"

I rolled my eyes at his easy flirtation. "I wanted to see if I could get you all to myself, what else? And it ain't just me that's looking good." I gave him a slow once-over before meeting his blue-green eyes. "Not that I've noticed or anything."

"Shut up," he laughed, holding on to the towel draped gingerly around his waist. "So what's been going on with ya? Been hearing a bunch o' whispers - have you decided to become a scandal?" He stroked his red chops thoughtfully. "It's about damn time."

I laughed outright, then winced at my sore ribs. "I need to shower," I grumbled, "and you need to put on clothes. Later?" His jaunty nod had me turning the opposite direction, to the women's showers.

Inside, I pulled my hair out, washed it and let it fall over me while I bathed. Steam slid around me, soothing my aches. I heard a slapping sound on the wet shower floor, and turned around to see Cody standing there with a shocked expression on his face. I quickly covered myself, crouching into a ball and giving him an angry look. "What are you doing in here?"

I thought it was the guy's showers," he admitted, averting his gaze. "Shit, sorry."

I shook my head, thinking. "I didn't see you in there," I said, more of a question to be honest.

"I was working at the opposite end, with the leg presses and bench presses. There was a huge wall and a couple of columns between us." He picked up what had dropped - what looked like his underwear - and turned to leave. "I'll see you later, then," he added quickly, before spinning away and around the wall.

*********************

After I got back to my floor, I got a text. My phone vibrated through my satchel and against my thigh, making me jump. I looked behind me, down the hall, and pulled my phone out of my pocket, the square message logo standing out against my grey and purple Undertaker background. I unlocked, clicked a couple buttons, and saw Cody's name in bold black letters above the start of a message. Hey, Cory, I was wondering if you wanted to...

I clicked it, read the rest of the message. .... come by my room tonight. We could hang out, and, y'know, whatever. I felt a smile curve my lips before it vibrated again, a new message popping up in the grey speech box.

I ordered Chinese.

What room are you in? The message was sent before I knew what I was doing, but I couldn't turn down Chinese food. I loved Chinese food.

It was a few seconds before a message popped up, simply 487. I tucked it away and turned back down the hall, counting the doors and turning right down a hall with endless green and gold striped carpeting, and saw the numbers count up. 484, 485, 486...