Stranger

Naomi sat in the small leather airport chair, her hands quivering at the thought of leaving Ashleigh's apartment. Was she ready to do this? Was she going to take that woman's advice and move on? Was it truly time for Naomi to go to college and get her degree? She looked down at her ticket, tracing the word California with her thumb.

   She pulled her brown leather wallet out of her pocket and opened it, looking at the picture of Ashleigh, who was frozen in time with her signature grin on her face. Naomi smirked, her chest growing warm and tingly. She had to do this, she had to do this for Ashleigh. Naomi needed to move on in life. She nervously scratched at her wrist, feeling the pads of her thin fingers run over the deep scars scratched into her pale skin. Instead of feeling sickened or ashamed of them, Naomi smiled. That experience taught her that not everything is black, and she'd be damned if everything is white, Naomi was just living for tomorrow, not thinking about today, and she thinks that's truly her golden ticket out of life. Anticipation for what is to come and ways to defeat the inevitable, instead of glooming about her old mistakes, she wanted to do something to help the world, she wanted to help the world for Ashleigh, because Naomi knew in her heart of hearts that Ashleigh would do the same for her.

   Naomi looked up in annoyance at a woman who plopped down right behind her, her phone loudly ringing and making Naomi want to rip her ears out. The woman picked up the phone and greeted the person on the other end and Naomi sighed. Thank god. She then heard the woman shriek. She was still on her phone but she got up from her seat and was crying heavily and started to run away, grief and shock can make people do weird things, Naomi learned the hard way. 

   People at the airport stared dumbly at the woman, not even going to attempt to assist her, but Naomi knew she had to stop her before she did something stupid. She jumped to her feet and chased after the woman, grabbing her by the wrist and alerting her to her presence. "Miss, are you okay?" The woman was sobbing like it was the end of the world, crumpling to the floor. Naomi fell with her, holding the woman close to her like she was a child.

   She wailed, "My kid's dead!" Naomi simply gaped, the woman kept crying, tears and snot trickling down her face as she heaved, "Sarah! Sarah!" The woman shouted as she wrapped her arms around Naomi. She held his stranger tight and let her cry in her arms. It wasn't a romantic gesture, though, it was Naomi holding the woman close while she mourned the loss of her Sarah. Naomi didn't know her, she didn't know her story, but she felt her own eyes water as the woman slumped in her arms and she had to support her so she wouldn't collapse onto the cold tile and give up.

   Their flight was soon and both of them were to be on the plane. Naomi escorted her to the walkway and they both got on the plane. Naomi never saw the lady again, she didn't even know her name, but she wondered what her story was, but she knew she most likely wouldn't ever see her again.