Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Since it was the weekend, River and I were going to the mall so I could find a prom dress, and so he could get a new suit since he didn't really have one. He tried refusing to go, but I didn't give him a choice.

I was such a nice friend.

By the time I was awake and went downstairs to eat breakfast, River was already there, sitting at the table as he ate breakfast. That did surprise me because he wasn't really a morning person. Every day since he had been here, he didn't even wake up before I had to leave for school, and some days, he actually woke up shortly after I came home from school.

"You're up early," I said to River as I grabbed a bowl from the cupboard to pour myself some cereal.

"You're stupid duck woke me up," River said. "He was just standing by the bedroom door, quacking over and over again."

"Hey, he's not a stupid duck," I said, pouring cereal into my bowl, then milk. I then grabbed a spoon and sat across from River at the table. "He's a genius."

"Are you saying that just because his name is genius?"

"Maybe. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. He used to do the same thing when I first got him, but I got used to it so him quacking when I'm sleeping doesn't bother me anymore."

"I still have to deal with it."

"Not really. He was probably only doing it because he was hungry. And speaking of, I should probably feed him."

"No, I already did," River said before I could even stand up.

"Really?" I asked and he nodded. "Thanks."

When River and I finished eating our breakfast, we both headed back to our bedrooms to get ready so we could go to the mall. There was no point of waiting until later to go.

I grabbed my cell phone and my purse before going downstairs and putting on a jacket and shoes. While I was waiting for River to finish, I got a text from Peggy. I read it, furrowing my eyebrows. Was she serious?

Second chance to have a prom dress that matches ours. Colette and I are going today.

I did not understand her at times. I made it crystal clear that I did not want to have matching prom dress and that I didn't even want to be her friend anymore.

I didn't even know why she was going to get her prom dress today. She said she was going to get it last week. Why would she hold it off?

"You okay?" River asked as he reached the last stairs.

"Oh, yeah," I said. "Peggy just sent me a text saying I have another chance to get matching prom dresses. Not happening."

I sent a quick reply to Peggy. Last chance to stop telling me that before I block your number.

"So, ready to go?" I asked and River nodded, so I grabbed my keys off the hook beside the door. We walked out and I locked the door, then we headed to my care.

We had to go into the city to go to the mall since there wasn't one in this small town. There were a few shops and boutiques, but it was always best to go to the mall to get more formal dresses.

One thing I hated about going to the mall was that it was always packed. It was so hard finding a parking lot and sometimes, someone would quickly pull into the spot I was heading into.