Lost At Sand

Two men and a woman in military uniform dash through undergrowth as yellow explosions erupt behind them. 

Jack, the group leader, turns to face the other two with a scowl on his face.  "Hurry up!  Run!"

Without response, the woman with chopped blond hair obeys as fast as she can, followed by the stern dark skinned warrior with a gold symbol imbedded into his forehead.

Ducking in a dip of sandy brown soil the leader pants, removes his hat, wipes sweat on the back of his hand and thumps the hat back on top of his head.  The other two slide into the ditch behind him.

Panting, the girl turns her soot smeared face to her commander.  "There's too many sir.  No way we could make a rush for it, not with as many men as they've got!"

Squinting at the horizon Colonel Jack O'Neal licks his lips watching his enemies.  He hoists his his gun up on his shoulder. 

"Oh yeah?  What do you suggest?"

He sounds more tired than upset.

The dark skinned soldier tips his head in reverence.  "I believe, O'Neal, that the only option is to retreat."

Without facing his team Jack pushes himself up from the ground, muttering, "Over my dead body.  We're not leaving without Daniel."

He jogs off in to the foliage.

Samantha Carter gives her fellow soldier a look of concern.  Teal'c offers sober nod in response, then gets up to follow his commander.

--

A young archeologist with round glasses a large backpack and a scarf tied around his forehead looks left and right observing his surroundings.

He's on a desolate sea of sandy hills.  Far in the distance, the horizon dotted with a few primitive huts.

"Uh...hello?" 

He wrings with his hands absently, squinting at the buildings.  Sighing, he keeps trekking towards them.

A faint yell catches his attention.

Starting, he hears it again.  A faint cry for help echoes across the dessert.

"There IS civilization!" he mutters stumbling forward towards the sound.  As he nears the huts he hears the yells far more distinctly.

"Help!" someone screams.  "Please help!"

Running as fast as he can in the shifting sand, Daniel drops his backpack, pulls off his coat and drops that as well, rushing toward the caller.

"I'm coming!" he yells.  "Hang on!"

Reaching the houses he sees a crowd of simple townsfolk dressed in animal skin.  In the center stands a tall thin figure in black leather, raising a whip above a whimpering girl on the ground. 

"No please!" she cries, trying to shield her face with her arm.

The figure raises the whip higher and Daniel jumps in front and grabs ahold of the attacker's wrist, halting the whips decent. 

"Stop!"

Looking into the man's face Daniel freezes.  It's a sallow pale face framed in raven black hair a mischievous grin, and piercing green eyes.

Daniel pants.

"Loki..." 

Loki's grin broadens.

"Hello Daniel..."

Daniel breathes hard and licks his lips.