Going Native

Later that night a bonfire blazes in the dust strewn street between rustic huts and the natives dance, laugh and eat. Daniel sits silently on a log in front of the fire.

He gazes through the flames as Loki makes a speech from a stump to the crowd about defeating the Goauld. He mentions Daniel and cheers ring through the crowd. All the while Daniel stares at the fire ignoring everyone.

Finishing Loki says. "I swear I shall never let you fall. Together we can end the snake gods!"

Applause splinter through the air.

As the cheering dies down Loki strides over to Daniel. No one else is looking their way. They're too busy dancing.

"Daniel?"

He doesn't answer.

Loki crouches next to him.  "Let me help..."

With a great yell Daniel jumps up and grabs Loki by the throat. "You monster! You monster!"

"Daniel! Daniel!"

He punches him to the ground and yanks him to his feet by the throat, slamming him up against a rock. Grabbing Loki's own dagger from his belt he pushes it up to his throat. "HOW DARE YOU TRY TO MAKE ME THINK YOU CAN SAVE MY WIFE!"

Pressing him against the rock he pushes the dagger so hard against his neck a drip of red trickles from behind it. Loki pulls back looking down the dagger into the wild eyes glaring at him.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Daniel bangs the false God against the wall again. Loki breathes through his nostrils but says nothing, eyes moistening but other than that looking very calm.

"You can't save her!"  Daniel screams.  "You know you can't! None of us can...cause if there was ANY way I'd be doing it do you hear me! I'd do ANYTHING... anything..." Blinking Daniel's face starts working. 

Still under the threat, Loki's eyes soften. "Sh..."

Daniel drops the dagger and lowers Loki, a sob crawling up his throat. Still clutching hard to Loki's collar he loosens his hold and sinks to his knees crying silently. Loki stands quietly over him. Crouching next to him he opens his hand gently and takes the dagger.

Not a word is spoken as he sheaths it into his belt and gestures for the others who have gathered to move off.

They leave as Daniel tries desperately to pull himself together.

--

The next morning Daniel sits on the edge of his bed and Lia walks in with a plate of food.

Daniel looks to the side.

"Loki sent you?"

She doesn't answer, but her face is pained.

"Please, eat, Daniel, or you will grow weak."

He watches her eyes for several seconds.  "What do I do Lia..." groaning, he looks down but she quickly takes a seat next to him and glances at his hands before daring to take them.

"Help us.  Help us train, help Lord Loki lead us until we become the army that can destroy the snakes and rescue your wife."

"Did Loki tell you..."

"Lord Loki does not know I am here.  We want you to do this.  Can't you see?  Before Loki came here we were as dogs, running with our tail between our legs before evil snake Gods, then Loki came with the power to train us into such an army as can kill the snakes.  God or not Loki has given us hope."