Chapter 9 | Cryptic Warnings

"Could

                       You

                                   Ever

                                                  Love

                                                                  Me...?"

You found yourself sat in the middle of a field of long, golden grass. The wind danced around you to a melody you were somehow familiar yet alien to. Your eyes moved in panorama, taking in the scene in front of you very carefully. You were no longer hovering in the middle of the lake in the park with JR, but instead you were now sat with the Sun hanging in the blue sky above you in an unknown field stretching on for as far as your eyes could see. How strange...
Butterflies fluttered from one blooming flower to another, their graceful movements entrancing you. They seemed to be creating patterns, dancing along to the melody of the wind. Before you had even noticed, they had surrounded you, fluttering in a circular motion, their speed gradually increasing. Pushing yourself up, you rose to your feet. Unsure of what the butterflies were doing, you continued to watch silently, waiting, for what, you did not know.
Suddenly, one butterfly broke free of the circle and approached you. You held your hands out and the butterfly landing gently within them.
"We beseech you, please, save our King," you frowned. "Please, please save our King," then your eyes widened as the realisation dawned upon you. In your hand was not a butterfly but it was in fact a fairy. She was so quaint, standing in the palms of your hand, her own hands clasped together, head bowed in a desperate prayer. Carefully, you lifted your hands up to your eye level, examining the little fairy closer. Her peach dress was made of dried flower petals, sewn together by silk string and wrapped in a flower stem. There was something so elegant about her that you almost wished that you could be a fairy too.
"For centuries, the goblins have burnt our homes, tainting the fields mercilessly with bloodshed and destroying all in their path. If the goblin prince is victorious, it will be the end of us all. Please, will you save our King?" she asked you.
"I-I don't know if I can."
"But you must!" she pleaded, falling to her knees. "The fairy clan will cease to exist if the Elf King is not saved. You must save him," the little fairy told you, her voice shaking as she did so.
"Save him from what exactly?" You asked the little fairy, tilting your head to one side.
"I am forbidden to say anymore," She rose to her feet, looking up at you with a determined gaze, "But when the time is right, you will know what to do. Please, please save our King."
Before you had a chance to question the little fairy any further, she had jumped out of your hand, reuniting herself with the rest of the fairies. They seemed to be flying faster and faster and faster, their fluttering hypnotising you, so much so that you had not even noticed that you were no longer standing in the field anymore...

Shaking yourself out from your trance-like state, your eyes flicked left then right. Where were you now? You seemed to be standing in the middle of a cobbled road, rows of buildings either side of said road but something was not quite right. Empty market stalls along the pavement were barren, spider webs adorning window corners, the wooden window shutters rattling in a light breeze, the sound of which echoing on through the darkened night. This place was uninhabited...so then why did you feel like you were being watched?
Hugging yourself, you took a tentative step forward. It was then that you heard a hissing sound from behind you. You felt yourself freeze up. It would seem that your instincts had been correct. You were not alone.
"Elffff Queeeeenn..." there was a low rumble as the voice from behind you broke into harsh laughter. "You pathhhhhetic huuuumannnnn. You willllllll diiiiiie...weeeee willlllllll kill you...and whennnnn we are donnnnnne, we willlll...kill...the Kinnnnnnng!" The laughter transformed into an evil cackle, resonating all around, mocking and taunting you as you stood there, too terrified to breathe. "He musssssssssssst diiiiiiie...the goblinnnnnssss willlllllll rule...onccce...morrrrre!" The laughter seemed to grow in volume before you realised that there were many more voices involved. You were surrounded. The goblins were surrounding you, exploiting your vulnerability and fear. They were poking fun at you, toying with you like a predator would toy with its prey before destroying it. That fact in itself did nothing to comfort you.
"Your Kinnnnnnng wonnnnn't save you herrrrre. No onnnnnnnne can saaaaaaaave you nowwww!" You felt movement from behind you and immediately spun round, a scream escaping you as you did so-