Part One

"Fantasy is at the center of what a serial killer really is. You and I might have a bad thought about a person. A serial killer will take that thought of an immoral or illegal impulse and dwell on it. That thought becomes an obsession, and from that obsession, grows fantasy. Normal people have healthy fantasies - meaning that they can readily differentiate between the real and unreal. A serial killer will dwell on that fantasy until they can no longer resist the urge to see it through, and once he does act on that impulse... fantasy becomes reality."

---------------------------

Rhys found himself in a dark theater, the front row, completely surrounded.

What the hell? How did I get here?

The silence of the enormous room was enough to be nearly deafening, and he was about to get up and quickly escape, when one man stepped out into the center of the stage, wearing a black tuxedo and a top hat, a single red tie adorning the otherwise completely black suit.

A spotlight light up the man, and he tipped off his hat, giving the room a brilliant smile as everyone around him cheered and clapped.

"I want to show you how to appreciate your life." The man began, and Rhys' eyes widened when he realized that he'd seen the man before.

"I want to show you how to leap out of bed every morning with a smile on your face!"

It was that guy who always came to the Rent-A-Lot, who always rented those creepy horror slasher films, and those serial killer documentaries. Why the hell was he dreaming about this guy?

"I want to give you the ammunition you need to go out there and fight for what you believe in."

Sure, he'd admitted to thinking the guy was sinfully attractive, and that voice alone made Rhys rethink his life choices, but..

"I want to help you find your passion." The guy continued, but he sounded almost desperate now, his hands curling into fists in front of his face as he seemed to make eye contact with Rhys.

"I want to show you how I've changed my life, because I know that what I've discovered will help you change your life." His voice dropped to a whisper as he held a finger in front of his face, smirking. "I want to share my secrets with you."

Rhys was staring at the man's bright heterochromic eyes as they seemed to burn through him, the man's lips slowly stretching into a large grin.

"You deserve a great life. I'm going to show you the path to that life. My name is Jack Wilson, and today, I'm going to teach you how to be a serial killer."

Wait. What?

---------------------------

Rhys shot up in bed, looking around his room, completely frazzled.

That was the weirdest dream I think I've ever had.

Rhys sighed, running his face across his face, before noting the time on the clock.

"Shit! I overslept?!" Rhys hissed, jumping out of bed as he got dressed.

I am not losing this job to some dumb dream, regardless that it might be admitably shitty in every way. This is the only way I have a shot at collage now, thanks Mom and Dad.

--------------------------

Rhys answered the phone at the counter in a rush as he finally made it from the other side of the room to where the counter happened to be.