Part Two

"People don't like being alone. But when you mix the manipulative powers of a sociopath with someone with dependency disorders, that's a very easy mix, and a highly dysfunctional union. Examples of this run the relationship spectrum from parent-child to romantic attachments. It never ceases to amaze me what people will tolerate in order to avoid being alone."

---------------------------------

Rhys grinned boldly at Jack, reaching for the gun in his hand.

"I am in it to win it."

Jack pulled the gun out of his reach, giving Rhys a stern look.

"You got a lot to learn before you can put your hands on a weapon, princess." Jack told him, and Rhys nodded, the smile falling from his face as he felt his face burn in embarrassment.

Good job, Rhys. Now you look like some pea-brained, dumbass kid.

"So what'd ya say, kid? You wanna go get this asshole?" Jack grinned, tilting the gun in the direction of the front door.

Rhys nods, forcing himself to smile confidently. Jack grinned wider, morbidly ringing the bell on the counter, like Vasquez had done.

"Let's take the back, before he gets away." Jack turned, heading for the back exit. Rhys pursed his lips, nervously hurrying after Jack, and he absentmindedly noticed the comedy section as he followed Jack out of the exit.

Vasquez was just to the left in the small alley, leaning on his car, stopping in the middle of the conversation he was having while on the phone when he saw them, his face blanching when he spotted the gun in Jack's hand.

Rhys smirked, finding no small amount of satisfaction in seeing such an expression on the usually sparmy and confident man.

"Hey, dipshit." Jack greeted, approaching Vasquez like a wolf corners sheep. "Y'know what's fucking hilarious?"

Vasquez shook his head numbly, eyes wide with terror, and Jack laughed, his arms spreading wide as he gestured around him.

"You chose to act like a fucking asshole on your last day on Earth!" Jack laughed dryly, and had fired a shot right in Vasquez's gut in the blink of an eye, the blood spraying out onto Rhys and Jack's face.

That....he's......that's blood. Another man's blood is on my face.

Rhys looked down at the body as blood pooled around it, feeling his head begin to spin.

He's dead. His life is completely gone, he'll never get up again. Just like that-

Jack laughed, wiping some of the blood off of his face, ready to make some joke as he turns to look at Rhys behind him, pausing when he saw that the kid was as white as a sheet, frozen in place, shaking like a leaf.

"Hey-hey-hey, You alright?" Jack asked, eyes narrowed in concern as he moved closer to Rhys. "You still with me, kid?"

What the fuck did we just do? Why - what the hell was I thinking?!

Jack smiled at Rhys grimly, as Rhys opened and closed his mouth like a fish, his eyes wide with panic and anger.

"Guys like this?" Jack gestured back at Vasquez's body. "They take their lives for granted. The thing is.... is that we're all so fucking fragile. I'm a reminder to these people that they need to appreciate their life each and every day."

He's trying to teach people a lesson? Is this what they mean by the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

"So you're... trying to do people a favor?"