Story Inspiration/ Background Information

This short story was inspired by a line delivered by Benedict Cumberbatch in the episode The Lying Detective of Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss's  television show BBC Sherlock.

"Taking your own life. Interesting expression, taking it from who? Once it's over, it's not you who'll miss it. Your own death is something that happens to everyone else. Your life is not your own, keep your hands off it," 

Background Information

Setting: The story has a very fluctuating timeline because of the continuous changes from memories of their past to when their stories take place. Both Annabelle and Sally live in Chicago, IL, although this is not explicitly mentioned in the story.

Annabelle: Annabelle's full name isAnnabelle Arryo. She was born on January 29th, 1987. Her mother was Puerto-Rican, and her father was of English descent. Annabelle grew up in a small town in New Mexico with her parents and her brother, Doyle Arryo. Annabelle's father was verbally abusive to his children when under the influence of alcohol. He died of alcohol poisoning when Annabelle was 19 years old.

Sally: Born on March 8th, 1985, Sally's full name is Sally Davis, and is African American. Her mother and father were very supportive parents and loved both of their children dearly. Unfortunately, Sally's mother died of breast cancer when Sally was 13, this lead Sally to dream of becoming a doctor in order to save lives. Sally has an older, non-binary, sibling named Martie. Sally was born and raised in San Francisco, CA.

The reason(s) they ended their marriage:

· Sally often accused Annabelle of having remaining internalized homophobia left by her father.

· Sally was rarely ever home because of her demanding job as a neurosurgeon.

· They fought constantly, but it was mostly because they were frustrated with the lack of time to spend with each other.

· Annabelle, before meeting Sally, was a recreational drug user and often drank for a coping mechanism to deal with her father's abuse.

· One night, when a fight got particularly nasty, Annabelle had begun using again, and did not hide it very well whatsoever. Sally, a doctor, could not stand that Annabelle was willingly abusing her body in such a way, and that was the end of it- of them.