4

When Dolan's brother started taking up magic, he had been leaving Dolan alone more often. He would go into his room, lock the door, and stay there in utter silence. (Dolan had listened for any noise before many times. There was nothing.)

He used to tell Dolan to remember to feed and clean up after himself. Now he just goes and doesn't come back until the next morning. He was never tired. Dolan just thought, in utter bitterness, that he would go to slep without telling him goodnight.

"You're not five years old, Dolan." He says when it was brought up. That was the only thing he said.

Dolan didn't question about his strange line of work. At least it paid bills and kept him fed.

Dolan laid flat against the couch when Hellbent called. The TV was on but he wasn't watching. His face was against the seat of the couch and he looked distant and hollow.

The side pocket of his blue sweater vibrated and he groaned just lifting up slightly to pull it out. He closed his eyes and didn't bother lifting his head as he spoke into the phone.

"Whaaat?" He whined.

Hellbent spoke."Do you wanna go to a bar with me?"

Dolan finally picked his head up. He forgot the only person that knows his knew number was Hellbent. "What?"

Hellbent spoke again with a lower, unamused tone. "Do. You. Wanna--"

Dolan shook his head, "No, not that. I know what you said, but what? You haven't talked to me in three days." He says.

"Exactly the reason why I called, Pipsqueak. Do you wanna go or not?"

Dolan paused to glance down the hallway, as if his brother was right there, hearing what Hellbent had said and about ready to scold Dolan. It was a gut feeling, but he wasn't there. Dolan sighed and shrugged.

"Sure. Yeah."

"I'll meet you outside your house in five." He says urgently, and immedietly hangs up. There was that urgent tone again.

Dolan gets up, and leaves out the door standing outside. He was just starting to realize how much of a weirdo this demon was.

- - -

"Aren't you cold?" Hellbent asked. "I know I'm wearing a jacket and all, but..."

Dolan glanced up at him as they walked calmly. "I'm half naked? I know. My body doesn't get cold easily. I wear sweaters like these just to fit in."

Hellbent shrugged and stuck out his lower lip. "Alright."

Dolan had nothing else to say so Hellbent watched him walk. He was strange. The way he walked was intriguing. He looked so small, and he also looked calm and anxious at the same time. Hellbent hummed to himself.

No wonder his brother protects him. Anyone and anything can snatch Dolan and run.

For some reason, Hellbent didn't want that to happen either. He didn't want to think about it either. It was a weird kind of dread.

"Isn't your brother going to get mad?"

"Serves him right for always leaving me alone." Says Dolan.

He said it so quickly and sternly. Hellbent knew he's been bottling that in for some time. He just never told anyone. It was amusing to him.

Hellbent chuckled dryly, "Well...forget him now. I'm just worried about you being back down here in this place."

"Don't worry about me." Dolan says. He looked emotionless and tired.

Hellbent smiled to himself. Dolan was so compact and hardy, like he could walk through a storm and get blown away at the same time.

"Okay." He cooed.