Chapter 24

We load up into the van, the couple sit in the front and us in the back. Cristina tries to make conversation, "Sorry about Steve pointing the gun at you, he was in the police you see, he can be overly protective at times. So, what are your names?" Once we've introduced ourselves Cristina keeps up the small talk with Matt and Chris, talking about how she and Steve had been together for three years now and that they were heading for the coast. I stare out the window and watch the many fields pass by. I start to think about the RAF base, imaging it turning out to be a safe camp with all our families alive and well. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but for the first time since the school we have been taken back to the old world. Where cars run and small talk is made.

When the conversation starts to slow, I decide to ask a question I'm afraid to know the answer to, "Do you two know if the RAF base in Hackton is running as a safe camp?"

Steve speaks up this time, "In all honesty we don't know. But from my experience in the police I visited there a few times and in my opinion, I wouldn't say it was a bad shout. There's a possibility it is or at least was.

"We can take you to the outskirts of the village though as there is a petrol station there and we'll need to refuel. But we can't take you any closer and risk getting stuck and losing the car. I hope you understand."

"We're thankful for all the help we can get" Chris says politely.

It doesn't take long until we pass the sign for Hackton. I can't control the smile that appears on my face. I could cry in relief. We are so close. Matt reaches out and holds my hand gently, stroking the back of my hand softly with his thumb.

We say goodbye to Cristina and Steve at the petrol station, thanking them, and wishing them luck to get to the coast. They let us have some of their food supply, a truly kind gesture.

I hold onto the straps of my bag as we start walking down the short country road to the village. The houses start to surround us as we enter the village. From what I can remember the RAF base is in the centre, past the short lane of small shops.

"I can't believe we're going to reach the RAF base today." Matt mutters to the group.

"I wonder if they'll be able to do anything with that cure thing we found." Chris says.

"Probably not." Oliver says bluntly, "Most likely is just some science shit for some stupid hospital and not a cure." We all stop and stare blankly at him. "What you can't actually think that there's a cure for this thing? Pfft, please you guys need to get your heads out of the clouds." I walk up to him with anger glaring in my eyes. Looking down at me he goes to speak, "Wha-" I punch him square in the face causing him to stumble backwards. I shake my hand from the pain and carry on walking.

Oliver rubs his face and looks to the other two, they both shake their head at him. "That'll teach you to keep your big mouth shut." Chris spits out as they walk away with me. Oliver follows behind us like a badly-behaved puppy.