Chapter Two - Carnivals and Choices

Hello all.

Sorry this is late. The past few weeks have been crazy and shitty.

Warnings: none

-------------------------------------------------------

May's POV
June 9, 2:04 pm

May stood with Catherine and Thomas as Bisma shut her locker door.

Come on, my dads are waiting for us, May signed.

Someone's a little impatient today, Catherine signed, a teasing grin on her face.

I've just never been to a carnival before and I'm excited.

You've never been to a carnival before? Bisma asked.

She shook her head. My dads had just adopted me while the carnival was here last year, and, well...

May didn't like talking about her years at the orphanage, or her years with that young couple.

She felt a hand on her back, and looked to her right to find Thomas gazing at her with an expression that asked if she was okay. She smiled, touching her new necklace. She wore it all the time now.

We should get going, May signed.

As they walked down the halls of the emptying school, Thomas's hand moved to curl around her waist. May shot him a mischievous smile.

The warm June air was refreshing as they made their way down the steps toward Dad's car.

Hey, kids, Dad signed and said at the same time.

Hi, Dad. Hi, Papa. May leaned forward and kissed each of their fathers on the cheek.

Her friends greeted her fathers. The four of them were crammed in the backseat, May and Catherine on the outsides, and Bisma and Thomas stuck in the middle.

May couldn't help but notice Dad and Papa kept glancing in the rear view mirror at Thomas. Thomas didn't seem to notice, but she did.

When they got home, May led her friends into the library.

I still can't believe you have a library in your house, Catherine signed.

May shrugged. Yeah. Sometimes I can't believe it either.

Eileen came out from the kitchen into the library. Hey, sweetheart. How was school?

Good.

Are you up for dress shopping tomorrow?

Really?

Yeah. We're kind of running out of time.

May nodded, smiling. Yeah.

June 9, 5:09 pm

We'll pick you up at nine. Is that good?

May nodded. Yes. Bye. I love you. She touched her hand doing the "I love you" sign to Dad and Papa's hands, then climbed out of the car.

Catherine bounced on the balls of her feet as May put the money Dad and Papa gave her in her pocket.

I can't wait to get some cotton candy, Catherine commented.

May tilted her head. I've never had cotton candy before.

Three faces filled with shocked expressions. Never? Bisma questioned.

Never. I've never had fried dough or funnel cake either. Or a snow cone.