Making friends

I finished off my lunch and set my plate in the sink. I don't have to wash my own dishes anymore.

I like the idea of not having to clean but I don't really like the idea of having someone doing it for me.

I've been here almost two months and I'm still not used to how different it feels.

I'm used to taking care of my dad and myself -now I don't have that responsibility.

"Hey" I say brightly as Jake and his best friend Toby walk into the kitchen.

"Sam" Toby says with a smile.

Jake just gave me a head nod -as usual. Toby gave me a reassuring smile, letting me know it was okay.

A week or so after I met Toby he pointed out my feelings for Jake. 'I see the way you look at him.' It's exactly what he said.

I tried denying it but there was no way. He promised not to tell and for some reason I trusted him on that.

Then a week or so later he told me he had something to tell me. I was nervous because I thought maybe he broke his promise -pinky promise, may I add- and told Jake.

But he told me he was gay. Immediately I was shocked that he was and that he trusted me enough to tell me. We've become closer since then.

I smile at the both of them as I walk out of the kitchen. I walk to the room that has become my favorite since I've moved in.

It's a huge room and it's very empty, yet it's filled with so much life. There's nothing but a slick black piano and a wall full of mirrors.

I feel like the room was made for me. I've played piano since I was six and I suppose it's a passion of me. The mirrors are perfect for my dancing, ballet to be specific.

I sit at the piano bench. It's been a while since I've played. I place my hands on the starting keys for on of my favorite pieces -How To Save A Life.

I begin to play and I soon find myself lost in the keys. I love the feeling of everything drifting away as the music consumes me.

I've missed this, so much. Only now am I realizing how much I actually did miss this.

The the song ends -to soon for my liking. So I start over and repeat it, allowing my pain to seep the keys, this has always been my way. It will always be my way, just the way I like it.

I open my eyes once the songs ends for the second time. I smile through my tears because I got away. In my own way, I made my own get away.

"That was-" Toby pauses, looking for a word I assume, "amazing."

"Thank you." I stand up from the bench.

"I've been wanting to here you play." He states.

I smile not knowing what to say.

"I wanted to talk to you about something though." He sits at the bench and I walk over the mirrors.

"What about?" I look at him through the mirror as I do a few simple steps.

"I think Jakes getting suspicious. So I've got a plan, it'll help both me and you." I turn to face him already knowing exactly what he's hinting at.

"Go on." I smile in amusement.

He looks extremely nervous, horrified even, "I think we should date. I mean not really but like, you know-"

I nod, "I'm down, I just don't get how it helps me."

"Jake will get jealous. I don't think he realizes that he feels something for you. But once he gets jealous, he'll start questioning how he feels. Then who knows, maybe something can come out of this." He shrugs.

I stay silent, thinking about it all. It makes sense in so many ways. It's a good idea but something's telling me it'll be I who gets the backlash of it all.

But I agree anyways.

--

The door opens and I knows it's Jake and Toby. They went out for food.

"I got you a milkshake." Toby says as they walk into the living room.

"Thanks babe." I kiss the corner of his mouth.

I don't want to be to awkward, but I had to show some type of affection.

Jake stares at us with an unreadable expression. He opens his mouth but then closes it. I suppose he decided against talking.

Toby clears his throat before speaking, "Uh, Jake?"

"What?" He says in monotone as he flops down on the couch.

"Sam and I, we're like a item now. That's alright, yeah." I gaze at Jake waiting for his answer.

"Cool." Jake shrugs.

"Cool." Toby responds and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

He gesture a bag towards me, "fries m'lady?"

"Why, thank you kind sir." I say as I reach in the bag.