Chapter 2 - Man in a Blue Box

I opened my eyes at the sudden voice.  In the corner of my cluttered room sat a blue Police Box.  The top light shone eerily, the white illumination throwing dancing shadows across the walls.  Above the door was a sign that read “Police Box” and below that were two separate doors, inoperable windows on each.  I stood in ample and downright perplexity.  Yet, it seemed to be anesthetized almost.  Numbness had spread throughout my nervous system and my fingers began tingling.

The door had been opened and in the threshold stood a tall man.  A sort of charisma and captivation emanated from him like smoke from a fire.  He was like a fire in a forest; so noticeable.  His thereness was startling.  “Oh…hello.  This isn’t…Chronos, is it?”  He asked loudly over the music.

His brown hair seemed to stick up in the oddest way and the sideburns on the sides of his face somehow worked with his facial features.  He had a prominent nose and dark eyebrows hung over his eyes like guardians.  His eyes were what hurt; narrowed yet full simultaneously, they were everlastingly watery.  His eyes were taciturn and charcoal, like dark color wash.  His irises reminded me of gouache paint, the whites of his eyes like the canvas.  Behind his irises there seemed to be a wizened advent to them.  He reminded me of my grandfather.  However, this man was much younger.

As apparel, he donned a blue suit, jaded looking converse, and a red tie.  Hesitantly lowering the gun, I stared at him in shock.  “No, okay, I suppose not.  Do you might know how far it is?  From here I mean?”  He asked again.  Looking over at my stereo, he paused Rush. 

I opened my mouth but nothing came out.  After a several, painfully silent moments I said, “Who are you and what are you doing in apartment?” 

“I’ve landed on Earth?”  He exclaimed.  “One moment.”  He rushed back inside his box.  A few seconds later, he appeared again.  “It seems I have.  Alright, well-”

He smiled suddenly at me and rubbed that back of his neck.

“-this is probably very odd.”

With nothing left to say, I repeated, “Who are you and what are you doing in my apartment?”  My thoughts tumbled in my head like underpants in a dryer without cling-free and my hands had now gone numb.  I dropped the gun unintentionally, the harsh sound it made on the tile startling me into oblivion.

“What were you planning to do with the gun?”  He sharply asked and looked at the fallen weapon, his eyebrows drawn together.

“I-”

“Were you going to-”

“Yes.”

“Why?”  He shouted.

“For reasons that…who are you?  And how you’d get that giant box into here?  That doesn’t fit through the front door!”  I shouted back.

Completely turning a blind eye to my aforementioned questions, he went on.  “There’s no reason to go murdering yourself!”

Something about his words stung, they hit home.  “I have valid reasons.  Who are you?”

He smiled suddenly again.  “I’m the Doctor.”                                                   

“Doctor of what?”  I asked, crossing my arms.  An arbitrating posture, an interrogative stare.       

He seemed conquered.  “No, no, you’re supposed to say ‘Doctor who?’  Get it?”  I stared at him with a blank expression.  Or at least I prayed it was a blank expression.

I refocused myself and waved my hands.  “That doesn’t explain how the bloody hell you managed to get into my flat.”

He transiently glimpsed up at his Police Box.  “With this.  Do you have any food?”  He stepped out of the threshold of his box and shut the door behind him.  He began walking towards me but strode passed.  Sauntering through the door of my room, he ambled through the diminutive hallway and into the living room.  I raced after him.