04

"How come you're not all over me like everyone else?"

"Because I, an intellectual, am not a kiss ass."

▪▪▪▪▪

It had be a month since Lucas transfered schools and all of the girls were ontop of him, constantly. He liked the attention, but now it was getting annoying. A group of girls surrounded him at his locker and were basically drooling all over him. Lucas spotted Maya across the hall, who was obviously laughing at him.

'Oh Lucas' Maya mouthed as she mimicked the girls around him 'You're just so cute' she laughed loudly, but he was the only one who noticed, everyone else was fixated on him.

When he tired to get around all the girls in front of him one of them asked "Where are you going?" She pouted

"I'm going over there." He said pointing towards Maya, who was simply smirking at him

"Why her." Another pouted

Lucas rolled his eyes and pushed through them.

"Why can't you be all over me like all of them." He laughed

"Because I am not a kiss ass like all them."

"Awe come on, that'd make my life so much easier."

"Too bad Cowboy." She chuckled

"Playing hard to get I see." He smirked

Maya rolled her eyes "I'm not going to cling to you like everyone else, I have standards unlike them."

"And that makes this so much harder for me." Lucas chuckled

"Get used to it Huckleberry, it's gonna take a lot to win me over. You better step up your game."

Lucas thought for a moment. He was kind of glad Maya wasn't throwing herself at him, and kind of disappointed. He liked the attention but it was a good thing that she wouldn't be after him for just his looks, he just had to win her over.

"Alright, I'll play." He said simply

"Play what?"

"The game that is winning you over."

"You really think you can handle it." She said stepping to him

Lucas took a step forward also "Not only can I handle it, but I'm going to win."

"We'll see about that now won't we." Maya smirked

"I guess we will."

Maya shut her locker door and walked around Lucas into the classroom. Lucas laughed to himself as she saw the group of girls across the hall glaring at Maya. He followed her into the classroom and took his seat behind her. This is going to be fun he thought.

"So Mrs. Hart," Lucas said leaning forward "If I'm going to win you over I need to know more about you."

"Win her over?" Riley asked

"I think he means he wants her to like him." Farkle said looking up from his phone

"No shit Farkle."

"You said it like it was a question." He argued

Riley turned in her seat. Everyday they had some type of arguement, Maya said this was normal for them.

"This was new information to me okay Farkle, stop trying to make feel stupid." Her hair whipped around and hit them all in the face

"These desks are really close to each other." Maya chuckled. Farkle didn't say anything else about it.

"Anyway, how about we hang out later tonight."

"Alright Cowboy. Come by my place later."

Lucas smiled to himself. This was going to be fun.

▪▪▪▪•▪▪▪▪

Lucas was having a great day until he got home. His four year old brother was sitting in the middle of the floor with no sign of their mother. Lucas crouched down to his level and ruffled his hair.

"Hey buddy where's mom?"

"She's not here." He said turning his attention to his toys

Lucas stood up angrily and walked to the kitchen. There was a note on the counter.

Sorry Lucas, I'm not sure when I'll be back. Take care of your brother for me.

That was it. She just left and that's all she had to say. He furiously crumpled up the paper and ran a hand through his hair. This wasn't the first time she had done this. He was getting tired of it.

"Luke." His brother called

"Yes Dalton." Lucas said as he walked towards him

"I am hungry."

"I know bubba, how about we go get something to eat."

Dalton grinned at him. Lucas wondered if he'll actually remember what their mother looked like. He sighed as his phone buzzed.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lucas." It was Maya

"Hey Maya, I'm sorry I know I'm supposed to be over there right now."

"It's fine really."

"Who is it, who is it?" Dalton said tugging on his leg

"Who's that?" Maya asked

"That's my little brother." Lucas sighed "I really wanted to hang out, but I have to watch him."

"Lucas honestly it's fine, I understand. We can hang out some other time."

Lucas looked down at his brother. They looked almost the same except he had black hair and Lucas's now resembled a faded rainbow.

"Thanks for understanding."

"No problem. I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"I'll be there."

Maya chuckled "Real smooth Cowboy. See you tomorrow." She said hanging up

"Who was that?"

Lucas looked back down "A friend."

"It was a girl. Luke has a girlfriend." Dalton danced around him

He laughed "I wish."

"Lucas has a girlfriend, Lucas has a girlfriend." He sang

Lucas stood back and laughed. This was going to be hard on them both. He was worried. At that moment he couldn't do anything but worry.