Chapter 1

Sarah's Point-Of-View (POV):

Why don't people find me interesting? I guess I know the answer. I don't do exciting things, I don't have many friends, and all I do is stay in my room or with my family. Some people go hunting, but I don't want to hurt a poor defenseless creature; others go on extreme trips, but I don't want to break a leg or something. I wish for once someone would drag me out of my comfort zone and convince me to do something exciting.

​I spun around in my desk chair and thought about how my fragile body would be able to do extreme stunts. I would easily die doing most of the things in the movies. I pretty much crossed "stunt double" off my career list a long time ago.

I almost jumped completely out of my chair when someone grabbed my shoulders and stopped my chair from spinning. I slowly turned my head around to see who had grabbed me. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw my older brother, Shawn, smirking at me.

​Shawn was pretty tall but too skinny to be on the football team. He had long, brown hair (well, it isn't long enough to go into his eyes). He always wears either a hood or a beanie on his head (which makes his hair even longer), and he has green eyes like me. When people first meet us, they think we're twins, but Shawn is actually a year older than me.

​"What's up, kid?" Shawn ruffled my hair.

​"Thinking," I answered flatly.

​"Oh, really? What about?" He had an annoying tone in his voice.

​"None of your business," I glared up at him. "I think I'm going to go on a walk," I stood up out of my chair.

​"Aw, come on! You can't be mad that I scared you!" Shawn grinned at me but I just simply continued to glare at him. "Well, fine, then. Have fun." He finally left me in my room, alone.​

I waved my hand as if he was still there. I walked over to my closet and grabbed my gray hoodie and walked down the stairs while I was putting it on. My mom saw me walking down the stairs and smiled. "Multitasking I see." I tried to hide my smile as I walked toward the garage door. "Sarah?"

​"Yes, Mom?" I answered with my hand on the door knob.

​"Don't stay out too long, okay?"

​I nodded. "I won't, Mom," I kissed her on the cheek and closed the door behind me.

​I walked down my street with my hands in my pockets and my hood over my head as if trying to contain the curly mess of caramel hair on top of my head.

It was getting colder by the minute! I walked around trying to think of something to do or somewhere to go so I wouldn't have to be stuck inside my house. Then, the greatest idea struck me! I turned around and ran down the side walk in the opposite direction of where I was going.

I walked about the half a mile that I had done over a million times before to my best friends' house. After ten minutes of walking alone, I finally approached their sidewalk, leading me to their front door, and it was then that I realized how much I missed my friends. Their house always stayed the same ever since we were little kids. The paint hasn't changed, the flowerbeds didn't change, nothing ever changed no matter how much time passed. The same old tree that we used to climb on as little kids is still in their front yard, just a little taller now.

I walked up to the front door and knocked. I looked back at the old oak tree and remembered when one of my friends, Maika, fell off one time when we were six. Luckily, he didn't fall too far, but he did manage to break his thumb. I was quickly sucked back into the present when my friends' Mom opened the door. She smiled when she realized it was me.