Chapter 15

Sarah's POV:

Little slivers of light were the first things I saw as I slowly woke up. The light became bigger and brighter until shapes and colors came at me all at once. I took a couple deep breaths as I glanced around the room I was in. Everything was pure white, no smudges or anything anywhere. The bed was white; the chairs, the walls, and even the sinks and wires were white too. I shifted to sit up but pain shot up through my entire body. It felt as if fire was coursing through my body. I tried to move my arm over to my side where Helen had stabbed me but someone was holding that hand. I turned my head to see who it was and my heart pounded in my chest when I saw the dark brown hair. 

​ "Kevin?" I whispered. 

​His head shot up at the sound of my voice and his deep brown eyes stared back at me. At first there was fear in his eyes but once he saw me, the fear was replaced with relief. He warmly smiled at me and clasped his other hand over mine. "Sarah," he breathed out. 

​ I looked at him and scrunched my eyebrows together. "Your scratches are almost gone." 

​"Yeah," he whispered. "Pop must've hid a container of rapid healing medicine in my pocket before I left. Once we're out of here, I'll put some on your side." 

​ I tried to sit up again in a more comfortable position, but the pain coursed through me once again. I balled the thin sheets into my free fist as I gritted my teeth. Kevin got out of his seat and wrapped his arms around me and positioned me to where I wanted to be. "Thank you," I huffed out and smoothed the comforter out. 

​ I looked up at Kevin to see him intently staring at me. "What?" I questioned. 

​ He shook his head. "I have to talk to Helen. Maybe I can see what's going on." 

​ My stomach churned at the sound of that name. Did he not see what she did to me? To him? I was opening mouth to protest but Kevin cut me off. 

​ "That person back there, in the woods, that wasn't Helen. That wasn't the person I grew up with, the girl I know. Someone has taken her over, and maybe if I go talk to her she'll snap out of it?" 

​ "What makes you think she's still in there?" 

​ "I have hope. I had hope that you were alive, and you are, aren't you?" 

​ I nodded slowly. "Just promise me you won't go alone. Take someone with you. You don't know what she's capable of." 

​ He smirked. "You know you worry too much." 

​ "I just don't want you to get hurt and be stuck in here like I am," I said sternly. 

​ His smile quickly faded as he looked at the seriousness on my face. He began leaning closer and closer towards me. At first, I thought he was going to whisper something in my ear but instead he gently placed his lips on mine. Of course I was totally shocked because I was not by any means expecting it, but I felt the connection. The spark everyone talks about. I felt it. I closed my eyes and kissed him back just as gently and softly as he did.

When I kissed him back, voices began in my head. At first they were a murmur, but they grew louder until I could make out the words and tones. The strangest thing was that it was Kevin's voice. The voices stopped and I heard only one thing. I know you're there. It wasn't a mean tone, only loving. 

​ He laughed through the kiss and then it intensified. One hand was pulling on my hair and the other was holding my cheek steady. Kevin was kissing me. He's kissing me! 

​ I can hear you. 

​ I stopped the kiss and looked at him. "How are you in my head?" 

​ He smiled. "When you kissed me back you gave me permission to enter your mind. So you can hear my thoughts, and I can hear yours. It's a lover's thing on my planet. I didn't think it'd work because Helen kissed me when we were kids and we've been in each other's mind since. But ever since I left my planet and Helen was taken captive, I haven't been able to read her. You can only talk to me now," he sat down in his chair. 

​ "So we're both a part of you?" 

​ He looked at me. "I only love her as a friend, if that's what you're asking." 

​ I shook my head and the door swung open. Carlee skipped inside and her face lit up when she saw me. She ran over to me and hugged me. "How are you feeling?" 

​ I watched Maika hand a bag of food to Kevin. "I'm feeling a lot better." 

​ Shawn's face changed as if he knew what I was thinking. He deathly glared at Kevin. "What the hell did you do to her?" He screamed.