Chapter 1

"Melody.  Melody.  Hello! Earth to Melody." My friend Danielle must've said my name about thirty times before I finally heard her, I have this condition where I zone out all the time.  It comes from my lack of sleep.  Today, however, I zone out because it's Friday. The best thing about today is that it's Mrs. Reynold's last day before she goes on maternity leave. Mrs. Reynolds is my art teacher. Oh the joy I feel, I hate that woman. Crossing my fingers that we get a substitute that's nothing like her.
The bell rings meaning it's time to go home.
I got out of there as soon as I could, forgetting I was supposed to give Danielle a ride home. Whoops!  Let me tell you about Danielle, she's the most amazing human being in the world.  She's my best friend and my only friend, sad right?  I'm not complaining however, anyways, Danielle is 17 years old, and a senior just like me.  We both have divorced parents and we both do the same thing on the weekends.  But this story isn't about Danielle, so let's not get too much into detail about her life. 
When I got home my mom was already passed out drunk on the couch, which is normal so I didn't expect any less.  Ever since the divorce, all my mom does is drink, a lot of the time, I feel like I'm her mother.  I cook, I clean, I do the laundry, I even go pick her up in the middle of the night from the bar.  What do I get for being the good guy? Slapped, pushed, kicked, yelled at, and verbally abused.  Yeah, that's my mom for you.
I mean, she's my mom and I love her, but, I don't love how she treats me.  I feel so worthless that I go to bars on weekends with a fake ID and hook up with men sometime twice my age or more.   And I'm about to do it again.  Now I know what you're going to say, and I get it, I really do.  But, this is the only way.  The only way for me to escape my shit life.