two|

Day two: Write a chapter where your main character meets someone with the name of a Disney character

The Mystery Of Mickey

To say that I needed a break was the truth, but I could still hear the ringing in my ears when I left- still hear the screaming kids, the Disney songs, the chatter of employees in the distance. Everybody spoke about this new Mickey, though there wasn’t particularly anything to say besides the fact nobody- not even those dumb enough to snoop around the main office- knew who this person was. Dakota had joked on the way home, when we were piled up in her car, that there could be a possibility that this Mickey may not actually be human at all. I shook that idea out of my mind, and was reminded of just how crazy Dakota was- and maybe that’s why we’re friends.

Eventually, once the Disney traffic subsided and the air conditioning finally started to work in Dakota’s car- thank God, we had stopped outside the block of apartments that I called home (well, not all of these apartments, just the one). I shuffled out of the car as best I could in my too heavy dress, feeling like the princess in Enchanted- so used to being around castles and happy people (or at least happy kids and their almost tolerant parents) that the suburbs and city, and ordinary people, are a surprise- except there was no chance of me finding my prince at any time. Ignoring my thoughts, I waved Dakota away and headed up the stairs- actually feeling like a princess, my hands hoisted up the dress just enough to see where I was going- and suddenly I realised how odd this must look.

As I fiddled with my shoes, which I was desperate to get off, I felt the door open- despite the fact my key was still buried somewhere in my purse, I hoped- and the cool air of the surrounding apartments encompassed me. “There we are, my lady.”

I instantly recognised the voice as I stepped inside, my face crimson with the heat and sudden embarrassment. Flynn Rider, yes like the Disney character, lived in Apartment B5 and has- I guessed- become accustom to the fact that I will more often than not enter the building dressed as one of Disney’s creations. I don’t think he has seen me in normal clothes ever, or at least when I’m in Florida. “See you later, Princess,” He says, tossing a smile in my direction as he leaves my sight. I wished I could see him all the time, not just in the summer season when my face was streaked with sweat and I was dressed as Cinderella, but with work and other commitments in the way I couldn’t spare the time. Before I knew it, I would be back on a plane home to see my family after a Disney filled summer- leaving Disney, and Florida, behind.

Apartment C18 belongs to my Aunt and Uncle; I know that as soon as I see their pictures on the mantle and their little touches around the apartment. I see as I turn my key in the lock, twice, and the door opens- that nothing has changed since last summer, give or take the added knickknack from travelling dotted here or there. You see, when my Uncle- Paul- isn’t working at Disney (he works as a security guard and, I always remind myself when I think about leaving it behind, he got me this job), he and my Aunt- Haley- go travelling. Their house is an eclectic mix of cultures, family photos and good old American décor (flags, posters, old 4th of July banners)- but I love it even so.

“Good day at work, Ava?”  I feel Aunt Haley’s arms around me, pulling me into a hug, and I smile. She still smells like the same perfume, still warm and friendly, this time I see her. I nod at her; because I had had a good day- as soon as the annoying kids were satisfied that Mickey still existed, at least. With a light smile, she takes the heels I had earlier discarded to my room; she leaves me alone- for just a moment.

Uncle Paul is still dressed in his security guard uniform but with the added “accessory” (or at least that’s what he calls it) of Mickey Mouse ears, given the day’s topic of conversation, which I am hesitant about bringing up. He takes them off his greying hair and places them on the armchair. That’s when I realise, if anyone is going to know about this new Mickey, Uncle Paul was bound to know.

He sees people enter and leave Disney World every day, so maybe he saw this new Mickey? Or maybe I was just experiencing wishful thinking, but I had to know- I had to. I wanted to experience the thrill of telling people something, the feeling of adrenaline coursing through my veins as more people began to know- because of you.

“Uncle Paul,” I eased the question in, twirling the Mickey Mouse ears around against my hands, my eyelashes batting a little. “Do you know anything about this new Mickey?”

Uncle Paul sighed. “Like I haven’t been asked that question all day,” He brushed off my question with a hand. “To answer it, I don’t know. I see so many faces come in and out- do you really expect me to remember one person, let alone Mickey Mouse?”

I sighed. I guessed I would have to start playing detective. Except, I wasn’t like any detective.

As far as I knew, Nancy Drew didn’t dress as Cinderella as a day job.

 Hello! So here is Chapter Two, as promised, of The Mystery Of Mickey. I think I've hit a plot hole, but I'm trying not to let it get in the way. Anyway, hope you like it!

Also, this is dedicated to red cape because the cover is fabulous! :)