Prologue

Raven was never once one to express emotions. No matter what, she always kept them bottled inside her.

   She didn't have anybody to let them out to, who would actually want that? To be Raven's human diary, simply put.

   Of course, she knew what people say about that. That her emotions would explode and one small annoyance would eventually trigger her, causing her to overflow with these feelings. But with meditation, they wouldn't.

   Whenever she'd hear these things, she would turn her back on it. All she needed to do was meditate and her bubbling anger would melt away into a peaceful, calm sensation. Everyone's incessant rambling bored her. Why couldn't anyone understand?

   Well, there was one person..

   Everyone else at her school found Raven creepy, weird, and different. They tagged her as an outcast, not even bothering to get to know her and why she was like this. But that's simply high school.

   By everyone, it means everyone.

   This isn't one of those fairytales, in which Damian will find her different personality as attractive. He sees her to be strange, almost expecting her to be some sort of witch. He doesn't think that Raven is necessarily the common definition for "pretty" or "hot", in that case.

   He does find her intriguing, though, like a moth to a flame. He wanted to get to know about why. He never wanted to become close to Raven. All he wanted was to know why she was like that, so then he could say to others that he was the only one in the school who actually knew Raven.

   Who cared about using her? To him, she was simply a tool he could use to get the information he craved.

   But why?

   Why did he want to know, exactly?

   It was only information. What would it be good for?

   Well, for starters, Raven was the only student he didn't have dirt on. He prepared himself for anything and everything, and so, he had knowledge about every student in the school. All except one.

   It was rare for him to get in trouble with Raven, out of all the people in this school. Raven was never one for the gossip and scene. She quietly did her work, ate her lunch, more work, then walk home to a house so isolated, nobody could follow her long enough that they wouldn't get scared and scurry off.

   But, still, it was best to be prepared. For anything.

   Eventually, he had done it. He had penetrated her hard shell, having a few complications along the way. But, no, he had been drawn to her and now he couldn't back away. He had come too far.

   And, in all honesty, he had liked Raven. But, he had to back off from her before he developed feelings for her.

   He didn't mind the emotions, only the results of them.

   He was sure that Raven wouldn't reciprocate the feelings. Not because of him, of course not. Raven just didn't seem to be a person who would have romantic attractions to another person. Plus, he didn't have time for girls. He had fencing, martial arts, and he helped his highly successful detective father, Bruce Wayne, with his cases.

   Still, though. Damian wanted to be with her, he didn't at the same time; if that makes any sense.

   Because, while he didn't want any distractions, he had to admit that this was a good distraction.

   The thrill of the chase excited him. He liked having an actual reason to show up to school, other than academic purposes. Let's be honest; who actually came to school to learn?

   But one day, he eventually mustered up the courage to ask her to dance at a school event.

*  *  *

   He shoved his hands in the pockets of a suit one of his older brothers forced him to wear. According to Dick, a girl like Raven likes to be shown that Damian can look like the high class person that he is.

   There's a chance that he'd only said that to mess with him.

   He pushed his hands deeper into his pocket, dismissing thoughts about his annoying brothers, and approached Raven with his arrogantly confident stride. He'd have fooled anyone that he wasn't nervous.

   Inside was another story. He was scared Raven would reject him completely. To be honest, he wouldn't be surprised if she did. He admitted to having a bratty, annoying personality that could agitate everyone.

   "Good evening, Raven." He said and planted himself in the seat next to her.

   She shook the ice in her cup around in circles and looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, "Yes, Damian?"

   "I was wondering if you would like to share a dance with me"

   Her eyes widened, not expecting that question, "Why?"

   "Do you want to or not?"

   "I don't see why not." She said. He extended his hand out towards her, which she took.

   She looked down at the floor, trying to hide a small smile and the pink on her otherwise dull cheeks.

   Finally, he had noticed her.

   Truth be told, she had been waiting for Damian to make a move for a while. She had really liked him for a while now, but since Damian didn't show too many emotions either, it was impossible for her to see if he felt the same.

   Damian wasted no time and turned her around to face him, his hands on her hips.

   "So why'd you ask me to dance?" She asked, placing her hands on his shoulders.

   "Because I have feelings for you."

   Her mouth opened slightly in disbelief, "Me?"

   "Yes, you. Do you see me dancing with anyone else?"

   To anyone else, that comment would have stung. But by now, she had gotten used to his remarks and knew when he was deliberately trying to make a snarky remark that actually hurt, "You like me?"

   "Hell yes." He kissed her without waiting for her response.

   To his surprise, she kissed him back. Unfortunately, they had to pull away after a teacher scolded them for their public display of affection.

*  *  *

   Mind you, a whole three years has passed since this. Raven had to move away, leaving behind everything. And by everything, that meant her small group of friends and Damian.

   She comes back to Jump City and nothing is the same.

   Her friends have disbanded.

   Damian has forgotten all about her.

   All she has left to hold onto now..

   Are only memories.