Chapter 31

Chapter 31

RACE AND CHASE

The moment the gun fired, booming sounds from the flashy motorcycles echoed on the alleyway as they zoomed forward in full speed. The crowd cheered as the bikes passed by, marveling upon the sight of the motorcycles speeding like violent tsunamis across the murky streets. On a sharp curve, the wheels skidded as the bikers arrived on the main public roads. Soon, the motorcycles were coming one after the other, all in aggression to win the race.

Kosuke has never been on a motorcycle race before. In fact, he purchased his bike only a few days ago. Yet, there he was, putting his life at stake in a dangerous game in which he, himself, was surprised of how he got himself entangled in.

He looked at his speedometer and gasped as he read:

130 kph

"Damn it!" Kosuke cursed under his breath. Despite being in such speed, he was nowhere near the ones leading the race. Aya's pink motorcycle was nowhere in sight either.

Cars that ran alongside them seemed as if they were lagging back even though in reality, they were actually running at an average of 80-100 kilometers per hour in the highway. Their speed was unbelievable. Experiencing it somehow gave Kosuke that certain 'trance state' – the vibration of the engine beneath him, the booming sounds as he hit on the gas, the vehement wind that gusted his jacket, the other motorcycles swiftly overtaking him despite his acceleration, and the fact that behind the adrenaline rush, Miyazawa Aya was still way ahead of him.

"This is crazy!" Kosuke shouted as he flipped the green switch near his hand brakes that read 'TURBO'. "Then there's no other way!"

"HERE WE GOOOOO!"

Soon, his red motorcycle zoomed in full speed, overtaking 1…2…4…7 motorcycles ahead of him. Private cars and several trucks that were in the same highway honked their horns as Kosuke suddenly changed lanes without early warning. However, just as surprised as these drivers were was Kosuke. He never thought that he could drive a motorcycle in such manner.

150 kph

He felt the engine starting to become precarious. Despite this, however, Kosuke kept his pace, especially now that the pink motorcycle he was chasing finally came to view.

"Miyazawa!" Kosuke exclaimed.

Aya came second, but the distance between her motorcycle and the one ahead of her was only very short. When Kosuke drove closer, he realized that the one leading the race was, in fact, the registration man himself, recognizing the amber bike he was driving – the same motorcycle he saw parked next to him earlier.

The registration man opened his visor and shouted against the wind, "Ha! You're not bad, lady. But if this is as far as you can go, you have no chance of winning this race!"

It was now Aya's turn to push up her helmet's visor and retorted, "Kiss your two hundred fifty grand goodbye!"

"Ha! If you want the money, you have to do something better than that!"

"I wanted to enjoy this race more," Aya grinned. "But it seems that you're too excited to end it. Well then, let's have it your way, shall we?"

Aya flipped on a small switch near her hand brakes.

All of a sudden, the sound coming from Aya's engine changed. The characteristic booming sound became louder and more furious than before.

"W-WHAT?" the registration man exclaimed upon hearing the familiar sound that emanated from the motorcycle.