Chapter 1: It goes without saying

Nick

He enlisted.

To the army.

He's going to war.

Mom's going to be furious, she will tell him to stay but he knew that it would be too late. That's why he didn't tell her what he intended to do, she would have convinced him not to go. She will be mad, but eventually, she will see that it is the right thing to do. She will understand and praise his decision. Or so least he hoped.

His car came to a halt and then he proceeded to slowly park the car in a driveway and sighed. He looked at the broken porch and small house with walls covered in mold. He heard a laughter coming from the house that was so pure and full of happiness that it had to belong to his little sister, Anne.

Since his father left, they were not in a great place economically, but with his mom working double shifts and Nick helping out at home they always somehow managed to make it work. Part-time job's earnings will not cut it anymore. His mom, who was diagnosed with cancer less than a year ago, is now unable to work and Nick's occasional paycheck from car repair shop can't pay for the house and his mom's treatments. He will explain that to her, she will see his doing.

He opened an old rusty door and went straight into the kitchen. Everything here was old but his mother made sure it was always clean. He sat down next to Anne, facing the woman that gave him home.

"Sweetie, Anne, why don't you go outside play with Paw."

He grinned at the sound of the name of his dog, which Anne insisted on naming. Mom send Anne away because she could tell just from his look that it's not good news. He admired her, though her ability to know what he was thinking scared him. Now more than ever before.

"There's something I need to tell you."