Moving On- Morganville Vampires Fanfiction.

Chapter One - Birthday Blues.

Shane P.O.V -

Today, is my 21st birthday. I was currently sat on the floor of the Glass House living room opening presents. I had decided against having a big party, much to Eve's disappointment. As long as I didn't have to deal with any damn bloodsuckers apart from Michael, it would be the best. Claire sat with her legs crossed next to me and Michael sat with Eve on the sofa, waiting for me to tear open each present, huge smiles on their faces.

"Okay, who's first?", I asked, eyes locked on the presents laying on the floor.
Eve jumped up and began dancing, like a demented rabbit.

"Ooh, me, me, me!", She sang.
Rolling my eyes, I picked up the present and began tearing the paper, slowly and carefully, knowing Eve could have put anything in the wrapping paper. I brought out the gift, which was a book. I was confused. Maybe Eve had mistaken me for Claire. I turned it over and a laugh escaped my lips. It was a recipe book.

"Now you can learn to cook something apart from chilli", Eve said, a grin plastered on her face.

Claire giggled beside me and with a smile, I flipped Eve off.
"Bite me, chilli boy", Eve laughed.
Claire handed me her present next, which was a t-shirt that read, 'Keep Calm and Kill Zombies'. Michael bought me a vampire game for the X-Box.

"You can do what you love best, kicking some vampire ass, without leaving the sofa", Michael said, grinning.
We all burst into laughter. I smiled as I gazed around at all of them, at Michael and Eve cuddled together on the sofa and at Claire who was beaming at my side. My family. My real family but even then I couldn't help think that someone was missing. It was at times like this, I really missed Alyssa. Although it had been years, I always missed her. I missed how you could count on her to come up with the best presents ever and cheer me up. I couldn't let people know how I really felt. In Morganville, I was Shane Collins. The badass slacker who if
showed any sign of weakness, it would be a death sentence in this damn town.
"Thanks guys", I said, smiling at them.
"No problem, dude", Michael replied, returning the smile.
After sharing a couple of beers in celebration, I decided to try out the new game. I owed Michael one as it was awesome and I secretly pretended that every vampire, which I shot was either Myrnin, Oliver or Amelie. Of course, I didn't tell Claire that as I knew she would defend those bloodsucking freaks. Claire was sitting next to me on the sofa, flinching each time I shot a vampire on the screen. I laughed at her disgusted expression.
"You know, I really don't know what you see in these games. Have you always been in to shooting zombies?", Claire spoke, flinching again.
"Yep. Always. Lyssa used to call me, 'Shane of the dead'", I laughed.
That one sentence brought back so many memories of me and Alyssa, playing the games at home when she was alive.
'Oh great', I thought as I felt my eyes filling with tears.
I quickly turned back to the tv screen but not before Claire had seen me. She slowly nestled into my shirt and spoke softly.
"I'm sorry Shane. I know how much you miss her".
I pulled back and stared into her chocolate brown eyes. God, I loved her. The way she understood everything and the way she always put others first, even if it almost got her killed. I leaned forwards and kissed her nose, gently.
"Maybe it was just destiny...", I said.
"What do you mean?", Claire asked, confusion written on her face.
"Well, if Alyssa didn't die in the fire, I would never have met you. Jailbait".
An adorable pink blush appeared on her face. "I love you Shane".
"I love you too, jailbait".
I leaned forwards, closing the gap between us and pressed my lips against hers. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her close and she ran her fingers through my hair. We were both so lost in the moment, neither of us heard Eve and Michael enter the room.
"Gee guys, get a room", Eve laughed.
Claire jumped, quickly pulling back and blushed a deep shade of red. She looked so cute, it took all that I had not to kiss her again. I turned to Eve.
"We have one and you know what? I think we'll need it tonight. Come on Claire", I said, standing up, pulling Claire with me from the sofa.
Eve just rolled her eyes and stomped towards the kitchen, while Michael just looked disgusted. I chuckled, winked at him and pulled Claire upstairs for the best birthday present ever.