Chapter 1

~Phoenix~

I feel a soft tugging at the sheets of the bed. I open my eyes slightly to see that one of my sisters, Hope, is climbing up in the bed with me.
"Hello," I say.
She jumps a little, obviously she didn't know I was awake.
"Good morning," Hope replies.

Once she's in the bed I sit up, and glance over at the other side of the room, to see that mother and father haven't woken yet. I spot my 4 year old sister in between them. At the far end of the room my six year old twin brother and sister share a small bed. Beside my bed Hope has an identical twin bed, though being three years younger, we have a strong bond.

"Why don't you help me prepare breakfast? It's a special occasion, so we'll have a decent meal," I ask Hope. Seeing we are poor, we don't have very large meals, but today's the day of the reaping...

I can see it takes her a minute before responding, but she agrees. I hand her an egg bucket for her to collect some chicken eggs, and grab an empty bucket for me to get some milk from the cattle.

Despite being rather poor we have some livestock, (of course we would we are in the district of livestock). I count our cattle to make sure all 5 cows are still there. I grab a stool beside the fence then walk in. I fill the bucket till it's almost full, then join Hope as we walk inside. Mother has awoken, and so has Jamos and Haylee (the twins).

"Good morning Mother!," I greet her.
"Morning Phoenix, today's the big day...," her expression turns sorrow.
Not everyone would love for her two eldest daughters to be entered in a drawing into the 'hunger games' where we'll fight to the death with 23 others. Luckily only one girl and boy from each district may enter... but my name will be entered several times. Hope's only once, but mine- several. I am 15, she's 12, but I also apply for tesserae. Tesserae are a supply of grain and oil. Each family member gets a tesserae, at cost of a few entries. I refuse to let Hope sign for any tesserae. We are entered at ages 12-18. That foul Capitol, always making us fight to the death every year. Only one may win.
" Hope, Jamos, and I will prepare breakfast," Mother says. " When your father wakes up he'll take Gracely to see the goat we might buy, and can you take Haylee to the Baker , Trading Post, etc.?"

"Of course," I say walking Haylee over to get her dressed. I take her to the dress chest, where we store all of our dresses, and find a pretty overall dress for her to where. Then I walk over to the shirt and trouser chest, and find an outfit for me. "Are you exited to go run some errands?," I ask Haylee.
"Very," she says.

We proceed to the bathroom, and I help her dress then braid her, armpit length golden hair. I to have a strawberry goldish hair color except mine is much longer. Mother, Jamos, and Gracely have light brown hair. While, Hope and Father have sleek blonde hair.

I dress myself and braid my hair too, then walk Haylee to slip on shoes and head outside. We walk down the road, to the bakers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry if this chapter is too short, I promise they'll get longer! Any suggestions? Let me know! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments! And if you enjoy my story maybe leave a like or share. Bye!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Update:

I just want to say, PEETA IS BETTER THAN GALE!!!!! rainbowgenius005 AND DO NOT SAY GALE IS!!!! YOU TOO Lovepug05 !!!

Comment who you like.....
Petra or Gale...