Part III On the Streets

The California late afternoon sun beat down on Elias Morrigan's back. He couldn't believe what just happened. One moment he had food to eat, a roof over his head and a bed to sleep in. The next he was tossed out on the streets of Sacramento. The more Elias thought about it, the more frightened and angry he became. He was furious at his parents for judging him so harshly.

"Whatever happened to 'Love thy neighbor'?" he yelled aloud.

He also was furious at his older sister, Lydia. She was the perfect child and both his parents never took care to hide the fact they liked her better. Liddy never had to deal with this, he thought angrily. Elias vowed then and there to never go back to the Morrigan Household. He didn't know what'd he do, and at the moment he didn't really care. Elias just wanted to get as far away from his childhood home as possible.

But a couple hours later, when his rage had subsided slightly, he began to become afraid. Where will I sleep, he wondered. What will I eat? Will I eat? Elias began to feel nauseous. He spent his 30 dollars he had on him on a cheap sleeping bag and couple of bagels and a banana at a convenience stores. He walked to the park as the sun was setting. He ate a bagel and wrapped the rest up in his knapsack.

He couldn't go to school, he realised. They'd send him back. Elias found a street corner and spread out his sleeping bag as the night began to fall.

But he couldn't sleep. His mind was still buzzing from the events of the day. He cursed himself over and over again for keeping those letters. Finally when the moon was high in the sky, he began to drift into an uneasy slumber.