Tip Seven

Tip Seven
- Having cliffhangers at the end of each chapter
By pastelpapers-

Just as I have talked about keeping your updating schedule consistent in the last chapter, I did mention something about wanting to scream and pull out your hair in frustration, yes? It's what we annoyingly call cliffhangers. But, it is an advantage for us authors to use. Cliffhangers help readers be "hooked" to the story, making the readers want more. It is the cause of those irritating messages like 'please update'. Bothersome, yes. Aggravating, even more so. But don't get irritated with them, as it may be sign that your book is actually getting noticed and sooner, popular.
So what's in a cliffhanger? Definitely something to make you gasp at the end of the chapter. But how? you may ask. Surely it can't be a cliffhanger without any excitement, right? When writing a cliffhanger, you would want to keep in mind that this would be the perfect time to reveal something that is unexpected. Below I have a sample, taken from my book that's still unpublished.

The Celebrating Ball started right after the coronation. In the Royal Ballroom, thousands of people, both royal and common folk, had joined along in celebrating the new lives of the newly renamed Queens are now having. Simple and elegant gowns, swishing about on the dance floor. Coats and tails, being worn by men all over, trying to impress. Everyone introducing each other, and of course making their presence known by the Queens. Delectable foods being served on gold and silver platters. This is how the Celebrating Ball always goes. But the Queens decided to retire early; they had had a long day. And as the four sisters excused themselves, there was a loud crash. About ten men fully clothed in black jumped through the now broken window, and raised pistols at the guests. The Royal Guards raised their own weapons and pointed them to the gatecrashers-- er, windowcrashers, while trying to protect the Royal Family at the same time. But the leader of the intruders just laughed at the poor attempt to hide the family.
   "Long time no see, Diamond. Or should I say, Mother?"

     The unexpected revealing of something can either be something to be worried about, to be celebrated, or basically anything that would make your own heart beat either fast or hard against your chest. As difficult as it may seem, your book will definitely gain more attention, seeing how well you keep your readers hooked ;)