The Dragons Call

No young woman, no matter how great, can know her destiny. She cannot glimpse her part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, she must live and learn. And so it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A girl that will, in time, father the legend. Her name: Merlin

Merlin is a young woman from the village of Ealdor. She has brown hair and bright blue eyes. She is a taller than most girls her age and thinner. She wore her normal outfit. A red shirt along with her blue neckerchief and black trousers. You know, traveling clothes. Her hair was long but usually kept under a hat to keep it out of her face. As she walked over the hill she could see the Castle. She smiled at the sight. It was gorgeous. The way the sun hit the roof, it was phenomenal.

By the time she made it to the town she was in awe. All the people and venders and performers it was such different that the small town in which she came. She could see people gathering in the citadel square. When she reached the crowd she saw a man with a crown on top of his head and knights by his side: The King. Then she looked in front of her to see a man on his knees head on a chopping block, and an executer, waiting. The man Merlin deduced was the king cleared his throat and the people watched him with anticipation.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass."

He then raised his arm, then lowers it as a signal to the executioner. As Thomas Collins is beheaded, the people gasp and turn away. Merlin's eyes glued to the spot in horror. The whispering and gasps stopped when Uther started to speak again.

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." Merlin's face twisted in discust as he and the people cheered. How could they celebrate killing hundreds of people, killing almost an entire race, and then capturing it and caging it.

Once the cheers died down all that could be heard was a woman's cries, Mary Collins the boys mother. All heads turned to her as she stared dead at the king.

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son." Uther's face is red in anger.

"Seize her!" He shouts to the knights and guards. But she starts to chant a spell, once she is done she disappears in a whirlwind of smoke. People scurry away in fear.

She had to get away from all of this before she threw up. Merlin, still a little shaken by the beheading, walks up to a guard and smiles. "Where would I find Gaius, the- the court physician? "

She curses her stutter as the guard smiles and points to the stairwell behind him. Merlin says thanks and walks up steps and knocks on the open door to the physician's quarters and peeks inside.

"Hello?"

Hearing no response she wanders inside. Looking around she sees many things including a freaky bunny mask but she finally spots Gaius on a balcony looking at a bookshelf.

"Hello? Gaius?"

Gaius, startled, trips over backwards from the bookshelf stairs and the railing breaks. Merlin's eyes glow as she slows time. She look around frantically to see a patients cot. She quickly moves the cot under Gaius before he hits the floor.