Chapter 1

"Linc, how long you think we got?"

"Rose..." Lincoln sighed from his cell next to mine. "You know it's the same date and time. Hasn't changed and won't."

I adjusted my head position against the cold blank wall across from my bed. I looked up at the ceiling, that had absolutely nothing new to be seen, before deciding to get up and sit on my bed.

"I was just trying to make conversation." I mumbled. I pulled down my sleeves on my long sleeve gray inmate shirt and brought them up to my mouth. I blew hot breath on them to get them some what warm.

"Same conversation everyday." He monotonously stated.

"Okay." I waited all of twenty seconds before my mouth opened again. "I'm cold."

"Put on your long sleeve."

"I have it on but I'm still cold. How are you not?" I complained. I placed my hands under my arms and tried to warm them up again.

"I have other things on my mind right now." I couldn't see him but I knew he rolled his eyes at me.

Bang bang bang

The banging on my cell door made my head pop up.

"Lawson, visitor." My eyebrows instantly scrunched together in confusion. I've only ever had one visitor and that was one time when I first got here. Who would be here now?

The CO opened the door with a set of shackles. I puffed out a breath of air and allowed him to cuff my wrists and ankles. Once he was done, I stood and waited for him to lead me out.

We walked down a few hallways and up to a gate. He buzzed us in and I walked forward until we got to another gate that allowed me to enter the death row inmate visitation center, that was a gated box that had a glass and a square attached to it with holes so we could speak through, across from the other prisoners visitation area. I kept my gaze down until I stepped in and looked up. My eyes widened when I was met with Veronica's eyes.

"Uh, hey. Long time no see." I awkwardly stated. I watched her bring a hand up to her head and push a strand of her hair back. She nodded her head and smiled.

"Yeah, it's been a while."

"Uh, okay." I whispered to myself. "What's going on?" I asked getting straight to the point.

"Michael's gotten himself into trouble and I'm not sure if he's doing this for you or Lincoln or even both but whatever he has planned, you have to try to talk him out of it." I sat forward at her words at the mention of Michael.

"What do you mean trouble?"

"He robbed a bank armed with weapons. Now he's being sent here."

"Here? As in Fox River here?" I questioned as I scooted ever so closer to the glass separating us. 

"Yes. And I know it's getting closer to the date for you and Lincoln but you can't allow Michael to drag himself down with you both." She stated.

"When's the last time you visited Lincoln?" I asked, changing the subject. Her eyes scrunched together and she looked down with a shake of her head.

"Why?"

"He misses you; believe it or not. I mean, you guys were so good together. There was so much love between you two and now it's like you just shut that off and you're talking about our upcoming death like it doesn't bother you."

"That's because you both are guilty. The evidence says it."

"You and I both know that this wouldn't be the first time evidence was planted and cooked. Somebody is trying to bury us both. Now I don't care if you don't want to help me but at least help Lincoln. I can still see you love him or else you wouldn't have asked to see me instead of him because you can't face him yet." I explained. Tapping came from the gate but I didn't look away from her yet.