An Univited Guest

When we arrived at the mansion I, Lily Anderson for the first time, dropped my jaw in awe. It was a huge stone mansion. "It's beautiful."

"Yea. It really is" I hadn't realized he'd been looking at me the whole time. I blushed realizing that he was saying that about me.

As he stopped the car we got out and as he rounded the corner he frowned at me. "What?" I reached for my face checking to see if anything was wrong.

"Nothing. I was actually planning to open the door for you, but you beat me to it."

"Oops sorry. I'll let you open my door next time." I gave him a quick wink and he led the way to the castle. He stopped me before he opened the door. "Listen Lily. There will be other wolves here. Some are mated while others are not. Since we are not bonded yet, you are fair game. Men will try to talk to you and I want you to stay by my side at all times. I will not have any other wolf trying to court you. That's my job. Do you understand, princess?"

"Stay at your hip and don't let a man talk to me. Got it."

He opened the doors and I was greeted by probably 60 people.

I'm used to attention so it was kind of no big deal, but I wasn't really dressed to impress.

"Lucinda what did I tell you!" Lance growled at the woman who I guess is Lucinda.

"What! You said don't throw a party. This isn't a party. Just a gathering of the pack meeting our new Luna with food and drinks." Lucinda said.

"Nice loophole. I feel like we're gonna get along just fine." I said. Lucinda gave me a wink and handed me a drink.

"I'm sorry for all of this. I didn't expect her to throw a 'gathering' for you." Lance tried to explain.

"No problem it's fine. The sooner I meet people the sooner I can make some friends." I tried to walk away but Lance grabbed my elbow, "Remember what I said at the door?"

"How can I forget? But I've never been one to follow the rules." I rushed into the crowd with Lance looking in my direction trying to scout me out in the crowd.

I found Lucinda and I walked up to her. "Hey nice 'gathering'." I said.

"This place gets too boring. I just thought it would be time to spice it up in here you know?" I nodded my head.

"So can you tell me what Lance is like?" I asked.

"If you wanted to know who I am you could've just asked, princess." Lance whispered in my ear. I whipped my head around and he started dragging me off to who knows where. We walked to a double-door. When Lance opened the door I for a second time dropped my jaw. I walked around the master bedroom and it was humongous. It was a had a balcony and a California King in the middle and the closet had rows with a bench and a vanity and the bathroom had a jet tub and a three-way shower with a his and hers sink. "I really like this place Lance. Did you design all of this?" I don't think he did but I might be wrong.

"No, when this was built my mother designed everything and when my parents moved out I never really bothered to change anything. But you're welcome to, it's our house now." I wondered if I even want to change it. It's beautiful, but I haven't seen the whole house. "Well I'm going to take a shower and get ready for bed okay?" He nodded and sat on the bed and watched tv.

As I got out of the shower I wiped the fog out of the mirror and stared at myself. A lot has happened in one day. And it's pretty overwhelming. That's when it hit me: I have to share a bed with a man who I don't even know his last name. I quickly put on my pjs and walked out of the bathroom. I walked over to the edge of the bed and he was just staring at me as he leaned on the headboard. "Come here, Lily." he said. The way he said it had me wanting to run out the door and back to my mother's arms. He must've caught on, "I meant what I said earlier. I'm not going to hurt you. Please do not be afraid of me." he pleaded.

"How do you expect me to just crawl up into a strangers arms and act like I've know you forever? Mate or not I still have some dignity." I was glad I got that out until I met his eyes. They were full of hurt, compassion, and mystery. I really wanted to get to know him, and I wasn't about to give in and be submissive. My mother taught me better than that.

"Okay I see. How about we play 20 questions?" He decided. I smiled and faced him. "Good idea you go first"

"Favorite color?"

"Purple. It's the color of royalty. Um, any siblings?"

"I have an older brother who lives in Virginia, but we don't really talk. What do you like to do for fun?"

"I like to play basketball and shop. What do you have to do to complete the bonding?" I knew that I just ruined the light and carefree mood, but I had to ask so I can at least know something.

"Well... First we must bi--" Lance was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in" Lance said.

"Alpha Cordell, there's a.. surprise downstairs for you." He glanced at me for a quick second then turned his gaze to him.

"Can't you see I'm busy? This will just have to wait." I could tell Lance was irritated. It was clear as night and day.

"Oh no this can't wait. It's your brother and he heard that you've found your mate."