five

"I hate you so much."

The words aren't said to me. They're said to Liam. By Louis. He's joking, I can tell, but they really need to stop talking so loudly when I'm not around because this is the second time this has happened.

"Why? It's not like you're unhappy. You spent six hours alone with him! What's so wrong with that?"

"He looked like he didn't want to be there for the longest time," Louis says, and then I feel even more guilty. I had fun. I really did. And, yeah, our conversation in the car wasn't the best, but people don't always agree with each other. And we got to know each other better. "That's what's wrong."

"So ask him! He's not going to bite your head off!"

Louis mutters something that I don't quite catch. I know I'm not the most... inviting person. People don't usually talk to me because I just repel people. I don't talk much, and when I do, it's about something that makes other people uncomfortable.

I sigh and look down. I shouldn't be listening more. It was already bad enough the first time.

So I put my earbuds in my ears, play our playlist, and walk away. I shouldn't be lying to him about what I know.

/ / / \ \ \

"What's wrong?"

"Huh?" I ask stupidly, looking up to see Louis. His eyes look pensive. I feel even worse. So I take out the earbuds. "Nothing's wrong."

"Are you avoiding me? Because if you are, that's fine. I just want to know why."

"I'm not avoiding you."

He raises his eyebrows. "Really?" He doesn't believe me. I guess I wouldn't, either. I'm bad at lying. "Then what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," I repeat.

"I'd believe you more if you looked like you believed yourself."

"I'm not lying," I defend myself.

"I'm not saying you are. I just want to know. What did I do?"

"Y-you didn't do anything," I stammer.

Louis sighs. He hesitates before softly saying, "Okay."

I feel even worse as he walks away. But I don't go after him because I don't have anything to say that could comfort him. I bite my lip before putting the earbuds back in and going back to my homework. Great. I'm a world-class fuckup. I should be in a talent show for that. I bet I'd win.

/ / / \ \ \

"Hey, Harry, what's going on?" Liam asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Louis is being weird. I figured you knew something about it."

I shift uncomfortably. "I don't know."

He raises an eyebrow incredulously. "Okay. You might want to talk to him?"

"Fine."

/ / / \ \ \

"I don't want to like you."

Louis doesn't look up from his worksheet. "Then don't."

"But I do anyway. And you like me, too." I can't believe these words are exiting my mouth. It's like I'm a new person.

He still doesn't look up. "I don't recall ever saying that."

"Yes, you do. You told Liam, and—"

"What did he tell you?" Louis asks accusingly, looking up this time. He doesn't look happy. I guess maybe the way I brought this up wasn't the best way to do it. But it's better than stuttering and avoiding the subject, which is what I'd normally do.