Night and Day

Chapter Two:

Bobby and Callie found themselves in an old community building, the rain hammering down on it. They've stopped and hidden now after half an hour of non stop running. They somehow managed to outwit John and are now up against a grey, mirky wall, holding on to it as if their lives depend on that one wall. Bobby peers around a corner slowly.

"What is it?" Callie asks in a low whisper. "Who's ther-" Bobby turns around sharply and puts a hand over his mouth, encouraging Callie to do the same. They stand there, staring each other in the eyes, all four of which are filled with panic and fright. Callie's eyes start to blur as tears well up deep within them. Quiet but sure footsteps are heard behind the wall as Bobby clenches his other hand into a fist. Callie's hands start to quiver and shake as Bobby peeks round the corner again, this time to see no one. He turns and closes his eyes, sighing in relief. He opens them to see that Callie is no longer standing there.

"Callie...?" He whispers. He hears screams coming from behind the wall. Familiar screams. He turns back round to come face to face with their hunter. "Callie!" He says again, this time crying out in fear and desperation. John curls his mouth into a smirk as his fangs glint in the little sunlight. He pounces on Bobby and knocks him onto the floor. He kicks and screams but it is too late, the small, pointed teeth sink deeply into his neck and a painful burning starts to flow in his veins. A severe pain in his head makes him curl up and grip his temples, squeezing them as if to rid of the pain. When it all starts to fade, he closes his eyes, wishing he'll never wake up again.

************************************

"Bobby, wake up!" Callie's voice rings out in the silence. "Bobby!" His eyes stir and open to see that they are still exactly where they were attacked. He looks round to see John looking out on the lake. He backs up against the wall in fear but Callie reassures him that it's all okay. Her eyes are a bright blue, almost inhuman.

"Callie, your eyes...?" He stutters.

"Yeah, I know. You may want to look at yours too." She replies, gesturing to a window separating them from the cold and dark of the night. His eyes are the same icy blue as hers.

"I don't understand." Bobby says, his eyes focusing past the window and looking further and more clearly than before. He lifts his hand to his neck and looks for the bite marks but it is just smooth skin. "What did you do to me, to us?" He says, this time directing it towards John.

"I'm sorry." He replies, not even looking up from his gaze on the lake. "They already kidnapped you, I had to do it. But don't worry, we're not like them."

"We?" Callie says failing to mask her anger. "You're one of them aren't you?"

"Yes and no." He turns to face them, lifting a finger to his eye and taking out a small, clear film. Where the contact covers his iris, it is a bright orange, the same orange as the others'. Instead of having orange eyes though, John has bright blue ones. "I'm still a vampire yes, but I am a Dawner. The other vampires you met earlier, well they're Duskers. There was a war between our two sub species and it didn't end well for us Dawners. I have been recruiting. A lot of us were lost and we need more to survive." He says, a tear rolling down his cheek. "You guys are Dawners. It works in a way that if you're bitten by a Dawner, you become one and so is the same for a Dusker's bite. I've been hiding here, secretly recruiting and sending them to our Haven. Here, you'll need these in order to survive the next couple of days." He reaches into his pocket and hands Callie and Bobby two packets of contact lenses identical to his own.

"But what makes... us... and the Duskers so different?" Callie asks, clearly intrigued by the situation.

"Duskers, the ones with the orange eyes, can only come out at night and they can only survive on Human blood. Human blood makes a vampire more hostile and violent. Whereas Dawners, like you and me, can come out any time we want without burning up in the sun. We thrive on animal blood but it's not as energy filled as Human blood. We lost the war because, yeah we had more time to train and prepare, but we just didn't have the hostility and blood lust craziness to keep us going. Every Dawner they seek out gets killed. But not anymore." He walks away and gestures for them to follow. They look at each other with their fake orange eyes and see no way out of it.

"There is an upside to all of this." Bobby says. "And we will find it."