Chapter 4: Sleepy Town, Sleepy Gas Station

"This is bad." Dean said, as they walked along the dirt roadside after being released from the sheriff. "I'm dreaming," he concluded, "this is all just a dream."

"You're not dreaming, Dean." Sam insisted.

Dean stopped and swung his right hook into Sam's jaw.

Sam stumbled backwards, stunned. "What the hell? That hurt!"

"Don't call me that." Dean stared him dead in the eyes.

Sam rubbed his jaw. "Damn, you hit hard." He sighed. "I don't know how we got here but it's pretty obvious what's going on."

Dean kicked a rock clearing a nearby fence in frustration. "Did Eric put you up to this?" He said, regaining some composure. "What was in those beers, huh?" He further speculated. "I downed a whole six pack lastnight and from what I remember you had two - maybe three."

"Look, I'm as confused about this as you are but we're here." Sam began. "And as far as I can tell, I'm Sam and you're Dean."

"This is unbelievable." Dean mumbled. "And where in the hell in Texas are we?!"

"Rebel, Texas." Sam said, rotating his jaw loosening it up.

Dean made a face. "Rebel, Texas?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah, this is where the whole damn thing starts in Chloe's story."

Dean forced a laugh, "great," he threw his arms up in the air, "we're not even in a real town."

"I know this is crazy - all of this," Sam started, "but I think until we figure out why we're here, we should at least assume our identities as Sam and Dean Winchester."

Dean got up into Sam's face. "You wanna further entertain this wacky world fantasy?" He snorted, irritably and stepped back. "You do whatever you want but I'm going to find a payphone, call my agent and get the hell outta here." He turned and started walking.

***

Dean was several paces ahead of Sam, they'd been walking for about forty minutes before coming across an isolated gas station, with a weathered marquee reading Ripley's Pit Stop.

"Ah ha!" Dean beamed, enthusiastically, briefly turning back to Sam. "Payphone up ahead!" He sprinted towards the old building.

The door jingled as the two entered.

"Uhh, hello?" Dean called, looking around. "This place got a payphone I can use?"

They walked around the inside, Dean grabbed a couple candy bars and a bottle of water, before placing them onto the pay counter. Sam found a rack stocked with local maps of the area, and began reviewing their whereabouts.

"Hello?" Dean called out again. "You got a paying customer here."

Sam looked over at Dean and shrugged. "Sleepy town, sleepy gas station?"

Dean rolled his eyes, opening a candy bar and putting it into his mouth.

"You gonna pay for that, cowboy?" An older woman appeared from behind back.

"Uhh," Dean smiled, awkwardly, "thought nobody was home." He said with a mouthful.

"That'll be three-fifty." She said, running the register.

He pulled out his wallet and handed over a five dollar bill, taking notice of an old but sizable scar on her left forearm.

"Grizzly." She suddenly said, taking the money.

"No, of course not," Dean shook his head reassuringly, "sorry," he regretfully added.

"No, what I meant was," she rotated her scarred arm, "this is the handy work of a Montana grizzly."