Chapter 5

"Can I just drive you there? I'll leave as soon I drop you. Just let me make it up to you." The Officer plead.

I really thought about it. He's making up for what he did 5 years ago. It must be eating him alive and this is his only chance to fix everything.

"...Okay...." I said walking back over to the patrol car.

The car was warm and it felt awkward. Had Officer Peterson really felt this guilty that he's willing to drive me? After everything that has happened.

"Why don't you live here anymore?" Officer asked pulling the car out of the alley.

"It's to much... just everything that happened... it's to much to bare.." I sighed looking out the cars frosty window.

"I'm so sorry... I really am." He apologized grabbing my hand.

It was dark out and snow was falling from the sky. Michael and I have been dating for 2 years. Usually we would meet at the park every Wednesday night and go out to dinner or a movie. That one Wednesday he never called or came by the house. I figured I would just head over and just meet him. I never thought anything bad would happen.

When I shown up at the park I saw a big lump lying in the snow. I figured it was some kids bike that they forgot about. I sat on the park bench for at least 20 minutes waiting for Michael to show. Still he never came. As soon as I was about to leave I heard a loud sound of snow crunching. I turned around and saw that the lump was a human being.

"Arianna! Help me!" The person cried.

It was Michael.

"Michael!!!" I screamed running over towards him.

There was frost bite all over his face. He was only in a t-shirt and boxers. Blood stained the white t-shirt and gashes lined his bare arms. I held him in my arms and tried to pull him into the streetlight. His breathing was weak. My heart was beating fast. I saw the white patrol car drive slowly go down the street. I screamed for him to turn around.  The car turned around and pulled next to the sidewalk where Michael and I were standing.

I felt hope.

"Can I help you guys?" He asked with a toothpick in his mouth.

"WE NEED TO GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL!" I screamed into the officers window.

The officer looked at me then Michael.

"I recognize him. He drew graffitti on the church last year and he did a prank bomb call. You guys are playing a prank on me." The Officer said slowly rolling his window up.

I watched as his car pulled down the street as if nothing happened. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to beat the living hell out of the officer more than anything. Hanging at my side Michael was coughing hard. His head jerking erratically as he vomitted on the sidewalk.  I spent hours trying to get him some place where I could  call for help.

Thank God the Pastor at the church helped us. He drove me to the hospital with Michael taking in deep breaths. I held his head close to my chest, while the pastor tried to keep me calm.. The pastor was a wise man, he knew that Michael was all I had. He knew how to be the good samaritan.