Secrets And Lies

I stuffed my thermos into my canvas backpack, which was followed by my laptop, and my notebook. I zipped it up and swung it over my shoulder, turning the door handle. I slipped through, but froze at the sound of heels clicking down the hallway. I took a deep breath and darted into the boys changeroom. The heels clicked past at a constant pace. Finally, they faded away and I emerged from the changeroom.
       As illegal as it was, I couldn't go back to my dad's house. The school had been the first place that came to my mind when the drive-in was demolished. I had nowhere else to go. The only person who knew about this was Archie. He thinks I should tell Betty though.
     I should.
     I probably will.
     I made my way to the school doors and pulled them open, a gust of winter air consuming me. As I waited a while for the bell to ring I sat in a corner to write. The one thing I could do to avoid Reggie. He only cared to pick on me when I would give him a reaction. My fingers flew across the keyboard as I typed.
     The murky waters of Riverdale are getting thicker by the moment. The secrets, the lies, the half truths, the murder. These are all things that people can't control. It's like a slow motion car crash, and you can't do anything about it but watch. The things that happen around you. Everybody lies and keeps secrets. You, me, we all do. One of the hardest parts is that when secrets are revealed, they can be twisted into something else. Somebody's own version of a secret.
    Another rumor.
    Another lie.
    Just remember, that while Riverdale's waters are getting murkier, the path to the murderer is getting clearer. There may be the old saying,  "blood is thicker than water," but in this case, Riverdale's water is thicker than blood.
     With that, I closed my laptop just in time to see Betty round the corner to the school. I turned, shoving the laptop into my bag. She jogged over to me with a broad smile on her face, her blonde pony tail swaying."Hey Juggie!" She called. I grinned at her, tugging my hat down lower and over my cold ears. She stopped by my side as I began to walk. Our fingers intertwined as we made our way across the football field, stopping at a picnic table. We sat down, and she felt for the zipper of my backpack. I looked over my shoulder at her, smirking. "What are you doing?" She managed to unzip it, despite the cheap and crappy old zipper. "I'm trying to get to your laptop..." She explained mischievously. "I saw you writing when I got here." I looked forward again, smiling. "So you wanted to see my writing?" I asked smugly. She pulled out the laptop, opening it up as she set it on the table. "Yes." It was in sleep mode, so the screen lit up as she opened it. I turned towards her as she scanned the document. "Wow Juggie! This is really deep! It's amazing!" She exclaimed, her face lighting up. I smiled at her, placing a hand on her cheek. "Thanks Betts." I whispered looking her directly in her beautiful blue eyes. I leaned in, closing my eyes as my hand snaked around her neck, pulling her closer. Her lips met mine as her hand ran through my hair. We were cut off by a sudden laugh. We pulled away to see Reggie standing there with his friends behind him. I shot him a death glare. He only smirked. "What do you want, Reggie?" I asked with a cold tone. He chuckled softly and turned to his friends who were gathered in a circle. He rested his arm on Chuck's shoulder and began to speak in a voice that he clearly meant for me to hear. "I am so, utterly devastated by Jason Blossom's death. In fact, I have a few ideas on who may have killed him..." He announced, stroking his chin. You know he's about to say something stupid when he says a word like utterly or devastated, and stroking his chin? Don't even get me started. He let his hand fall to his side and began to pace back and forth. "I have my suspicions..." He started, stopping abruptly and turning to face Betty. "That Elisabeth Cooper was involved in the murder." Betty looked at me with a helpless expression. "I mean, after what Jason did to her sister Polly, Jughead do you honestly think that she would just brush that off?" I tightened my grip on the bench, my knuckles turning white. "Or..." He paused, beginning to pace again. "Or maybe, it would be more realistic if I was accusing a person who spends there life in a book. Writing. A person who is obsessed with solving the mystery of Jason Blossom's murder.
   A person...
   Like...
   You, Jughead.
   Maybe, you're working together. For all I know, I could be your next vict-" he was cut off by my fist connecting with his jaw. He fell to the ground clutching his face. "Jughead oh my god!" Betty was at my side at once, holding me back. I calmed in her grip, closing my eyes and exhaling deeply. I shrugged her off. "I'm fine..." I said, clenching my fists. "Well you sure as hell don't seem fine!" She exclaimed, placing a hand on my forehead. I reached up and gently lowered her hand to my chest. "I'm sorry, okay? Something came over me, and I couldn't control myself." I said softly. The bell echoed throughout the field and the boys took off, leaving Reggie behind. I tucked a strand of hair behind Betty's ear and whispered to her. "I'll be right in. I just need to deal with something right now." She sent me a worried look before she disappeared into the school. I turned towards Reggie who was still sitting on the ground in pain. I stretched out my hand and he took it hesitantly. I pulled him up but instead of letting his hand go, I pulled him closer. "You will never speak badly about Betty Cooper again." I whispered in his ear. "I won't put up with it." with that, he nodded and I let go of his hand, heading for the school doors and leaving him paralyzed in the football field.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I placed my foot on the first rung of the ladder, hoisting myself up. I continued this process until I had finally made it to the top. I tapped on the window, waiting for Betty to answer. After about seven seconds, she was at the window sliding it open. "Why, hello Juliet." I said, raising an eyebrow playfully
     "You, my friend, have a death wish." She stated, helping me in. She was wearing a knee-length nightgown that flowed in the breeze from the window. "what's up?" She asked me. I stared blankly at her.
    "Well, can't a guy walk across town and climb through a second story window with a ladder to see his girlfriend?" I asked, smirking unconsciously. She looked at me with an expression I couldn't read. 
    "Across town, huh? Where do you live? I mean, I've never been to your house so, I guess I'm just curious..." I looked down at the ground, my eyes burning. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder.
"Juggie, you can tell me anything. You know that, don't you?" She began rubbing circles on my back. The way I used to for Jellybean when I put her to sleep. The tears that threatened to spill broke through my barrier, betraying me.
    "I know." I mumbled. "When... I was living with both my parents, they fought... because, my dad, he... Wasn't a very good guy. My ten year old sister, Jellybean, she was... taken with my mom when she left. I just, couldn't live with my dad without Jellybean... So, I went out on my own. I lived at the drive in until it was demolished. Right now I live in a forgotten closet in the school, at the bottom of the main staircase." I explained solemnly. Betty stared at me in shock and sympathy.
    "Jughead, I had no idea..." She trailed off. "So, the drive in wasn't just like a home to you, you actually lived there..." It was more of a realization than a question. She pulled me into a tight hug. I rested my chin on her shoulder as she nuzzled her nose into my neck. I closed my eyes and relaxed in her arms. She pulled back slightly and moved her head so our foreheads were touching. I smiled at her and leaned in, closing the distance. My lips melted against hers. Her arms wrapped around my neck as she pulled herself onto my lap. I fell back against the bed without breaking the kiss. My arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her against me. Her head snapped up and she looked towards the door. She covered my mouth and my eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. That is, until I heard it. Footsteps. Betty stood up and covered me with her blanket. I tensed up as I heard the door handle click. I felt Betty's presence on the bed again as she layed beside me, hiding me from her mother.
    "Don't make a sound." She whispered to me.
    "Elizabeth? Who are you talking to? Is there someone else here?" I heard a muffled voice.
    "No, mom. I was just watching YouTube, no worries." Betty explained.
    "Okay sweetie, but no more. It's very late and you have school tomorrow." emphasis on very. "Okay mom." Betty replied. I heard the door creak and click shut. Betty waited until her mother's footsteps faded away before pulling the covers off me. I smirked at her.
    "Wow... My Juliet lies to her own mother for me." I said, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. She grinned mischievously and rested her chin on my chest.
    "Don't flatter yourself. I was only hiding you to save my own butt." I smirked at her.
    "You know Betts," I began. "You are really something."