Chapter 7

Chapter 7 – Jack

I woke up feeling warm, the smell of flowers hit my nostrils with an underlying musty smell. I didn't know what it was at first but it put a smile on my face. I rolled over and stretched a bit but suddenly realized this is not the level of comfort I was used to. A cave floor with some animal furs was never this warm.

I snapped my eyes open and looked around. The first thing that caught my eye was the large man sitting in a chair he had pulled up to the side of the bed. I smiled some more. My mate.

He was sleeping, his head had rolled back against the back of the chair, his bright red hair fell along his shoulder and down the side of the chair. He looked peaceful but it had to be an uncomfortable position.

Looking at him I let my mind drift back to what happened. Max trying to mate with me, Syrin coming to my rescue surprisingly, and then running. I ran and ran, trying to get to the border. At one point I thought I was going to make it, but I should have known better. A patrol wolf found me, it howled at me but I didn't stop. I could hear through the pack link as he confirmed that I wasn't to be let off pack grounds and he called 2 more wolves to come bring me back.

I ran as fast as I could but I wasn't fast enough. They caught up with me and cornered me. They ordered me to come back, but I said no. They were shocked at first, omegas are not known for their disobedience, but when I tried to run again they attacked me.

I fought hard, as hard as I could. I could tell they were trying not to kill me but they weren't holding back either. They bit me, scratched me, and then one of them took me by the throat and threw me into a tree. That's when I ran again and found myself in the clearing. I was slowing down though, I fell and the last thing I remember is shifting back.

Hunter must have come for me. I don't know how he knew I needed him, but I was so happy.

I laid there for a while longer just staring at him. The room was dark, the only light came from the crack in the door leading to the hallway. I rolled over and realized the entire wall to my right was made out of glass. I couldn't see much but I could see some trees and what seemed to be a lake, the moon high in the sky reflecting off the water.

I turned back to Hunter and slowly got out of bed. I had healed mostly, I was sore in a few areas but I wondered what happened because I knew I couldn't have healed myself this much that fast. I shook his shoulder but he just let out a grunt and adjusted a little. He seemed tired, I didn't want to wake him up, but he should at least be sleeping in a bed.

I shook his shoulder again and he seemed to slowly come out of his sleepy state. He blinked a few times and then looked up at me, his eyes growing wide.

"You shouldn't be out of bed," he said a little alarmed. I could see his eyes looking me up and down trying to make sure I wasn't badly injured still.

"I'm ok, I feel a lot better."

"Well, good," he said still staring at me.

We both looked at each other in an awkward silence for some time. I wasn't sure what to say, and I don't think he did either.

After a long moment he finally said, "What were you running away from?"

I debated telling him the whole story, but now didn't seem to be the right time.

"Let's talk about it in the morning, you're tired, you should be in bed."

Without another word he took me by the hand and led me back to the bed. I laid back down and he pulled the covers over me and then walked to the other side of the bed. I watched as he took off his shirt and climbed into the bed next to me. I scooted closer but stopped when I noticed the three large gashes going across his chest.