Chapter 17

But what happened today was what astonished me.

I woke up around ten. The sun shone brightly. Alex slept giving her back to me. I shook her shoulder.

“If you don't get up I'll leave you here,” I said getting out of the sleeping bag.

She stretched and I could hear her bones creak. She rubbed her eyes with her fits. Her brown eyes looked at me. Alex blinked a few times and started laughing.

“What?” I snapped.

“You have a little drool here,” she said pointing the corner of her mouth.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. I frowned. She stood up and straightened her clothes. She quickly braided her hair. We sat down to breakfast canned food and apple juice. After we kept all, I helped her to climb up to my back.

We two stayed in silence as I walked through the woods. Alex had her head on my shoulder.

“Do you think we'll find the others soon? I don't want to be too much time with you,” I commented. I didn't hear any answer.

I turned my head slightly to see Alex. She had fallen asleep. Her breath crashed against my neck and her lips brushed my skin from time to time. I walked with Alex on my back until my legs gave no more.

When I sat Alex woke up. She rubbed her eyes and looked at me.

“What's wrong?”

“I'm tired. I had to carry a body for four hours.” I complained.

“I don't weight that much,” she grumbled.

I rolled my eyes.

“That's what...”

“Shhh,” she hushed me.

“Don't shush me,” she covered my mouth with her hand.

“Do you hear that? It sounds like a river,” she whispered.

I wanted to tell her she was crazy. But when we both were quiet I was able to hear the water running. Alex smiled and rolled my eyes. I got her on my back and she wrapped her arms around my shoulders. Her laughter was muffled by my shoulder.

I only had to walk a few meters before the river appeared in front of us. She smiled. We took out the almost empty water bottles. I removed the covers and filled them with water from the river. Alex was sitting right where I had left her. She looked at me. I approached her and gave Alex one of the bottles. I sat next to her and we both took a long gulp of water. The cool water felt good on my dry throat.

“Maybe we should take a bath,” she suggested in a whisper.

She was right. We were both sweaty and covered in dirt. I nodded.

“Don't peek," she warned me.

I raised my hands; I turned around and walked a bit away from her. I took off my shirt and turned around, looking at Alex.

Alex took off her clothes, leaving only the underwear. She folded her clothes and put them in the backpack. I imitated this action. She looked at me and her cheeks reddened. She tried to stand up, but the pain in her right foot didn’t let her. I approached her. I took her in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders. She looked into my eyes as we entered the river.

“Thanks,” she whispered without looking away from my eyes.

“I won't let you stand on your feet. If you fall the stream will drag you,” I whispered.

She circled my waist with her legs. I loose the elastic band that held her braid. Her hair fell over her shoulders. She sighed and her breath hit my face.