Chapter 36

Hanna enters the café as she sees the texts on her phone that Josh has sent her telling the same old lies. She frowns and approaches the cashier.

“A cappuccino latte and a biscuit,” she says without raising her gaze of her phone.

“It's eleven dollars.”

She looks up and meets brown eyes full of joy. She takes out the money from her purse and the boy smiles at her. Hanna returns him the smile. Five minutes later she leaves the café with her order. Her phone keeps going off with the messages that Josh sends her.

In the napkin that has been given to her is written: beautiful eyes -Zach and his phone number below.

Hanna pulls out her phone and ignoring the texts of Josh sends one to the number in the napkin.

Thank you for the coffee :)

“Why aren’t you answering me?” Josh takes her arm and drags her away from the sight of people walking down the street.

“Were you following me?”

“Answer me.”

Taking courage Hanna gathers the words in her mouth.

“I am not answering you because I don't want to know anything about you. I don't want any of your shit. You're jealous, manipulative, and controller and I deserve someone better than you, idiot. So leave me alone."

“Oh, oh, oh. The cute little girl has put on some pants. Could you tell me what make you change your mind so quickly?”

Hanna bites the lip, not knowing what to say.

“I... I've met someone.”

“Uh?"

“I met someone who really is worth it and that treats me as I deserve. And I don’t need you to be happy. I'm really much better without you in my life. So stop fucking me and get a life.”

Hanna is turns on her heels and goes away steadily.

“You will return!” Josh yells, but she ignores him.

Hanna flips the sheet and notices that several pages have been torn off. She gazes her grandfather for a brief moment and returns her gaze to the journal to start reading.

March 17, 2010

They are already almost three months since the last time that I have spoken or known something of Diana. I tried to call and write her, but nothing works. A couple of times I went to her house and I waited until nightfall to see her, but they have never opened the door for me.

I am worse than when my mother died. I haven’t returned to alcohol or drugs, but I simply don’t have the forces needed to get out of this fucking depression looming above me. Almost not eat and not leave the house except to go to school and work. I have isolated me completely from the world and of course I haven’t seen Liam or Audrey. Something good about all this fucking shit.

I hate this.

I am sure that if this had happened before I wouldn’t have cared. But after Diana showed me how good life can be being back to the same crap before is a living hell for me.

March 20, 2010