Prologue

WENDY

It was a fine day at Eumag School for Artists, nothing bad happened which can be so surprising sometimes. The school is just not known to have the most talented kids in Seoul, but also for the students most likely to be the root of all troubles in town. With its students causing trouble, acting like uneducated pricks, it's not a mystery for the school's reputation to be likely questioned.

"Yah, Son Seungwan!" I turned to my friends, Red Velvet. We formed a group, a performing group that is. We also perfom at the streets, make videos and uploading it online but the reason for forming a group is mainly because of the school's main purpose and It's to showcase each student's talent and not just intelligence. "Bae Joohyun, Kang Seulgi, Park Sooyoung, Kim Yerim. What do you all want?" I asked them and they had reacted when I mentioned their full name.

Especially Irene, who's the oldest and even had to hear a young fellow not calling her 'unnie'. I sheepishly smiled and mouthed 'sorry' to Irene.  "We have to perform individually on the talent show next week," Seulgi announced, which made the rest complain about it. "I already have something in mind. Though, I'm worried since I'm not used to performing without you guys," Yeri stated.

Joy is an actress at the drama club so she's obviously used to it. I used to perform alone when I was just a transferee. Seulgi dances alone when the teachers order her to. Irene is an internet model so she can handle herself pretty well with these. The thing is Yeri can do the things we're good at, though, she's never used to doing it alone. 

Also, I already got the information of performing alone earlier. I just let them complain. "This sucks," Irene whispered, making us the only ones who could hear it. I remained silent and they continued talking about what they will perform. I leaned my back onto my locker door as I listen to each of their complaints. 

I noticed seven guys walking towards our direction, they're GOT7. Of course having my cousin, Jaebum as the leader of their group, I am fond of their group. Similar to almost all of us in the school, they also perform. Jaebum flashed a quick smile at me and I did the same, it's how we greet each other. Simple. We all bowed to each other as they passed by, as expected Jackson greeted us sweetly and with too much exaggeration.

Not that I'm complaining about it though.

It's not a bad thing, he's fun and kind. But there was one guy who caught my attention the most. He seemed sad, he couldn't even flash a smile when he bowed out of courtesy. "We heard you're all going to perform individually. Goodluck!" Jaebum said with an assuring smile, stealing glances from Seulgi.

"Thank you. Goodluck to all of you too!" Irene said and they uttered the word 'fighting' together, except for the silent one and I. I noticed that the silent guy is the one who just dances on stage and doesn't even talk or greet. He looked at me and I watched how his eyes widened at the sight of me starring at him, he avoided eye contact which made me frown. 

I wanted to apologize for making him uncomfortable with my stare but they had already bid their goodbyes and as we went back to our conversation, Joy tapped my shoulder, making me realize that I was even watching him walk away silently. "Are you perhaps curious about the mute?" she asked, my eyes widened and I didn't even talk but they already know that I have mistaken him.

"That guy you were starring at awhile ago.. He's name is Mark Tuan," Yeri informed and Irene nodded then she added, "He's mute."

Mute? That's why he doesn't sing, rap or even introduce himself on stage. I also noticed that he's always carrying a notebook with him. Is that how he communicates? I frowned and felt guilt just by thinking of his condition.

"You know, before you came here, he talks but of course not a lot. But when her mother got murdered, who was once our English teacher. He's traumatized and suffering from mild depression," Seulgi said.

Of course, they knew 'cause they studied here first. Hearing his story made me think deep. It's like his whole life came to an end when his mother died- An exaggeration but that's what I think. His eyes screamed sadness, his lips were like glued to each other, strangely not because he's mute but he just won't say anything, and he can't even force a smile. 

"Maybe, you can help him, Wendy," Irene said and placed her hand on my shoulder. "At least just a little help. He may not write it down on his notebook, but we know. We know he's silently asking for help," Irene added.

I looked at the direction where the group of guys went towards to. I've witnessed they started to separate from each other, as their classes might be up. Mark turned right alone, not minding the rest of his friends heading their way to their classrooms. "I'll be back," I informed my friends and they told me they're alright with it. 

"Mark Tuan!" I called out and of course, he's obviously not deaf. Fortunately, he had stopped from walking and turned to me. I ran up to him and quickly bowed, "Hello, my name's Wendy," I introduced, using English as I took out my hand, expecting a handshake. But all he did was look at my hand, so I took it back. "I'm sorry for possibly making you feel uncomfortable earlier. I just want to be your friend," I simply explained and there, he flipped the pages of his notebook and started to write. I felt anxious as his hands swiftly write with a seemingly expensive pen.

After he had written his response, he showed it to me.

'Are you trying to befriend someone voiceless?'

I was taken aback. He had bluntly acknowledged that he's voiceless and he seemed like he couldn't care less. Shaking my head, I forced myself to reply, "I-I don't mind! I want to be your friend and your condition is not a barrier from making friends or being able to communicate with them."

'A total opposite.'

And just like that that, he just walked away. I wasn't stupid enough not to realize that he pointed out that he doesn't want to be friends with someone who is an opposition. He's clearly building a wall, blocking everybody from getting to him. I know I shouldn't mind someone else's business but there was something inside that tells me to go after him. 

It's a feeling very rare for me to feel with any other person. When I first laid my eyes on him, I immediately saw the desperation for happiness through his dark eyes. His entire expression screamed help and as if he assumed no one hears his screams, he pushed me away. 

But I knew better than giving up unlike the rest that might've been his reason for closing the doors of his heart from the rest of the world.