Chapter 1

“Dad! What’s wrong?!”

“Get the doctor in here!”

Nayoung was suddenly being told to leave, but as stubborn as she was, she kicked and screamed when nurses tried lifting her up. She hit the ground head first after kicking someone’s grip off of her, and was immediately told to follow a nurse’s finger to check if she was still able to see.

But her eyes were only on her father, who had given her a sad smile, tears running down his cheeks.

"There'll be someone to take care of you, know that.“

She nodded, tears prickling her eyes as she finally let herself be taken out of the room.

"Saranghaey-"

“No! Stop! Please!”

Her captors merely cackled as they pressed a wire to her arm, gritting their teeth when they applied pressure, and smiling when the thin metal broke through her skin. They wrote the letters oh-so-slowly, as if they were savoring each and every moment of the torture. Nayoung had been too weak to move quickly, so she kept waiting until they had finished writing to take action. Immediately, she kicked her mother in the stomach, pushed her father with little force and used what remained of her energy to get up and crawl to the stairs, only to be dragged back down.

“No...Please…” She uttered, vaguely noticing her step-father lifting his foot up and lining it up to her forearm. She looked away and squeezed her eyes shut, searching for her father's smiling face.

“Somebody… Get me out of here…”

---

Sixteen year old Nayoung awoke at the feeling of one of her mother’s high heels digging into her forearm, immediately sending a kick to her knee, which resulted in a sickening crunch as a response. Falling to the ground with a thud, Nayoung effortlessly stood up from the mat and cushions, the sad excuse of a bed, and dragged her mother out of her room, slamming it shut as she carelessly dropped her hand out of the way of the door. Hearing her mother slurring, she wondered how someone could be drunk at six in the morning before she made her way back to the mat, stopping when something warm that smelt a bit like metal trickled down the side of her arm.

Just perfect.

Sighing, she stared at the messily imprinted letters on her skin, tracing each one to wipe off the blood.

WORTHLESS

Walking to a cardboard box, she took out a pair of jeans along with a black long sleeved shirt and matching, worn out converse before she walked to the bathroom right next to her mother’s room, noticing that her mother wasn’t anywhere in sight. Quickly opening and locking the bathroom door, she took a shower, silently watching the crimson red liquid as it went down the drain. She then opened one of the drawers underneath the hand basin and pulled a few large bandages out, covering each and every single scar that looked like it would open again as she dried herself; she wasn’t any doctor, so this was the only way she could keep them hidden.

Taking brisk steps back to her room, she opened the window, grabbed her bag and carefully balanced herself on the tree right near her before she climbed down and took her time to walk down the street to her school, the place where everyone surely despised her.

---

Math with Ms. Sneezy.

Damn.

How Nayoung remembered to bring her timetable, she didn’t know, but she wasn’t looking forward to her first class that she was late for, basically because the teacher would criticize the younger about absolutely everything she did. Sure the teacher did so to everyone else, because that was the only way she was going to keep her job apparently, but she, like every other teacher, picked on Nayoung especially.