Steps

One.

One step.

Then another.

Then one more.

The scratching of the sand buries beneath your toes, and digs beneath your nails. It climbs up your ankles, and sticks to your bare skin. Perhaps wearing shorts wasn't such a good idea.

One more step. 

But what does it matter? By the time they find your body, or if they find it at all, you'll be at the bottom of the ocean.

You take another step.

Finally you reach the water. You shudder as it slaps against your feet and sinks into the sand. But despite the cold you don't give up, and take one more step.

One more step. It's reaching your ankles now. The cold is unbearable, clawing at your shaking legs. But you can't help but power through. The wind had changed pitch, from a light humming to an anguished howl. It blows about your hair and top, and you clutch at your arms to fight against the bitter weather.

Another step.

And another.

It's reached your knees, and they buckle at the feeling. The waves crash against you, almost warning to go back. But you can't. Not now. Not when you've come this far.

One more.

One more.

And one more after that.

It's reached your waist. The cold has made your body numb, and you suppose it's better like this. It'll distract you from the pain later. 

The water pushes your shirt up a small bit, and the foamy waves tickles your stomach. You can't even see your legs anymore, it's too dark. 

The moon is far behind you, along with the rest of the world. Behind you there's a beach and a peer and a city. But all you can see is the endless ocean, with the inky clouds hanging above you. Not a star in the sky. Not even the universe thinks that you're is a big deal. But who cares? Not you. Not anymore.

Your feet are on autopilot now. Brushing past the ocean and carrying you further through the sea. The waves have become unbearable. Smashing against your neck and spraying you in the face. 

The wounds on your wrists re-open underneath the surface, and you hiss as the salt water pours into them. Or is the blood pouring into the ocean? You don't care enough to think about it too much.

One.

More.

Step.

You've finally done it. The water flows past your ears and plays with your hair. You squeeze your eyes shut as the water pushes against them. Your mouth is a thin line, but you can feel the water pushing up your nose. Everything hurts. Your eyes, your mouth, and god your nose feels like it's on fire.

One.

More...

Your feet collapse underneath you. They don't have the strength to hold you up any longer. Your hands float in front of you as you're dragged down. The water pulls you further into the ocean, and deeper down.Pain clogs your nose, and it feels like your throat is on fire. Your eyes can't bare to keep shut any longer, and you open them.

Black. 

All you see is back. You're too far down to see anything else. 

But you're already unconscious before you can realise this.