Prologue

Prologue

When I came across the scent it was weak but I could tell he was definitely the prey I was looking for. I turned and followed the scent into the forest. As I traveled deeper into the forest the light quickly faded as night fell. The dark didn't slow me down as my eyes adjusted rapidly to the change in light. I saw a fork in the path in front of me.

Which direction do I go? I listened to my surroundings and sniffed for clues. Stopping abruptly and becoming as rigid as a statue I lifted my face into the crisp night air. I can smell it but still can't hear it. If I could just focus and figure out which direction the smell was coming from... Then a thought occurred to me. I dropped to the ground and lay my ear to the cold soil. Success! There was a light resonance of footsteps scampering off to the left.

The thrill of the chase is still new to me, but so exhilarating. I've never felt more alive than when I'm stalking prey. I notice this path has fallen into disuse as bushes and tree branches have overgrown it. They all scrape at my sides as I run, as if trying to slow me down, but the scent is growing stronger and I know I will close in when I get around the bend in the path. A heady feeling spreads throughout my whole body and I started to salivate at the thought of catching up to him.

Just as I thought, I round the bend and there he is. He's just standing there in the middle of the path. I stop and slowly walk toward him. Not wanting to scare him and make him try to bolt away again. My prey starts to slowly back up off the path. He is focused on watching my every move and not where he was going. I glance behind him and clearly see he's backing up straight into a corner. There will be no escape as the cliff walls going up around him are steep.

As his back hits the jagged rock wall behind him a startled look spreads across his face and he glances up. The clouds move above us and there is suddenly a break in their cover, moonlight drenches his face and I notice an odd glow coming off him. As he swings his head back down to look at me I feel myself go completely still. His eyes are now glowing emerald green and he was grinning at me. He slowly nods as if to confirm my thoughts of what he is.

I was so distracted by the sight that I didn't even hear the bushes part next to me. Something very large slammed into me and I crashed to the ground. As I lay on the ground with the wind knocked out of me I heard footsteps coming up from behind me. There are at least two more besides the prey I stalked and my attacker. Then it dawns on me. They set a trap and I was so brainless I fell right into it. I should have listened to the warnings not to go out hunting alone in my first year. Now, when it's too late I understand why.

Just as I started to catch my breath and tried to glance around to see if there was any direction I could flee to, all four of them came into view above me, all with glowing green eyes and looking ravenous as if they hadn't eaten in days. I knew then that it was over.

Please Comment, Vote, Fan
Purchase Your Own Copy Today
Since Shifters is published only a portion of it is available on Wattpad now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJ8TNY

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shifters-sheri-schaefer/1109801562?ean=2940033092246

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/137960

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21618995-shifters

https://www.facebook.com/Shiftersbook

The ebook can also be purchased thru Apple iBooks!!! It will be easiest to find by searching my name Sheri Schaefer.