Chapter 13

Jack's pov

I watched the green smoke that swirled around as if it were alive. Just what is in this thing? A knock on my door interrupted my train of thought. I stuffed the ring back into my pocket and stood, going over to the door.

I opened it to see Jeff holding a plate with a slice of pizza on it. "Hey, I was gonna bring Naomi some lunch."

"You're gonna feed her?" I questioned him.

He shrugged. "Someone's gotta do it."

"Then I'll come too," I said. "I have a question for her anyway."

We both headed down to the basement. Going inside, we were immediately met with low laughter. We slowly went down the stairs and over to Naomi. She was just sitting there, laughing.

"What are you laughing about?" Jeff asked with slight annoyance in his tone.

Naomi slowly looked up at us with an insane grin. "I was just imagining all the fun ways to kill you both once I'm free."

"Well that's not gonna happen," Jeff replied simply.

She chuckled. "Don't be so sure. Selene is still out there, and she will free me."

"Yeah, yeah, we've heard all this before," Jeff said while crouching in front of her. "Just shut up and eat."

He held the pizza up to her, letting her take a bite. I crouched beside Jeff and reached into my pocket.

"Speaking of Selene, I've got something of hers."

I pulled out the ring and showed it to her. Her eyes grew wide and she nearly choked on her food. She hurriedly swallowed, her eyes staying focused on the ring.

"H-How did you get that?" she quickly asked.

"It slipped off Selene's finger when I fought with her," I told her. "Can you tell me what it is?"

Her expression turned dull momentarily. "It's obviously a ring, you moron."

"You know what I mean," I said, unfazed by her remark. "How is this thing significant in any way?"

"The ring isn't important, it's the crystal embedded in it that Selene cares about."

"Oh? Why is that?"

She sent me a quick glare. "You sure are nosy. Just stay out of other people's business."

I slid my scalpel out of my pocket and wedged the thin blade in between the crystal and edge of the ring. "What if I just pry that crystal out? Maybe I'll crack it open and see for myself what that smoke is."

"No! Don't!"

I paused and looked up at Naomi. She had an expression mixed with worry and fear as she stared at me, which was a strange look on her face. She'd never shown emotions like that before.

"Then tell me what it does. What is that green smoke?"

She turned her head away and quietly answered, "I don't know."

Jeff seemed to growl slightly as he finally entered the conversation. "What do you mean you don't know?! She's your friend!"

Naomi immediately narrowed her eyes at Jeff. "Selene is very secretive. There's a lot that even I don't know about her. She prefers to keep things to herself and I don't bother asking questions."

After a moment of silence, I stood up. "Jeff, I think we should head out soon. We still need to find Selene."

His permanent grin widened. "Alright, sounds like fun."