A quiet ride

The look in their eyes as we drove back to the church killed me, it took me hours to convince them to leave the hospital. I didn't want them to be alone. I didn't want them back in that house just yet. I spoke up looking in the backseat, hope had fallen asleep tear stains in her eyes.

"Nicholas, you and hope stay with me tonight. Please. I don't want you to be alone tonight. Stay with me." I whispered nervous he would turn me down.

He looked back at hope tears still falling down his eyes then looked back at me with a small smile.

"I think that's a good idea, I don't think hope could handle being at moms house," he began "are you sure? I can get us a motel for a few days I don't want to burned you." I looked back at him shocked

"Burden me, never, I asked you both to stay. I want you both to say, I love ms. Mary. It's the least I could do, let's get the church locked up and inform the pastor about your mother. I'll watch hope, we will run by your house and grab a few things then head to my home." I said setting a plan into motion.

Hope had woken up as Nicholas was leaving the car to take care of the church I looked back to see her praying.

"Dear god, please please love my grandma, I miss her so much...why did you take her from me? Why did you take her from me!!!"

I got out of the car and opened her door pulling her into my arms she pulled me closely holding as if her life depended on it.

"Hope grandma is in a safe and happy place she is with everyone she loves and I know she knows how much you miss her and is watching over you right now."

That was the truth all new angels usually spent a human lifetime watching their loved ones off an on helping them, guiding them and protecting them from demons. I knew deep down ms. Mary knew the truth about me now, I only pray she isn't ashamed of me...

Nicholas returned a few moments later with a grim expression on his face.

"Eva the pastor wants to speak with you."

"Can it wait?"

"It regards the festival."

"Okay well I'll be quick." I said walking towards the church.

The walk seemed like an eternity, life itself seemed to freeze when I reached the pastors office I looked back to see Nicholas climbing into the back seat holding hope tightly I sighed and turned back toward the church office.

"Pastor?" I called out

"I'm my office Evangeline," he called I walked to his office and saw he had been crying the news of Ms. Mary took a tole on us all.

"I still want to do the festival. I think it will be a good idea, Ms. Mary was so excited I'm doing this for her." I stated before he could even begin.

"That's all I needed to know, where are they all going? Are they going to ms. Mary's or Hopes mothers?"

"Their coming with me. " I said sadly.

"Hope saw it all, I'm not sure if she will be alright she won't really talk but it happened a few hours ago I don't expect her to open up, at least to me,"

Pastor interrupted me.

"Hope looks at you as a mother, can't you see that? You've been here at gloria dei for a year everyone here knows hope looks to you."

I smiled in return.

"I'm going to get back to them, get them to my home and feed then I'm not sure after that..." I said turning around

"Have a blessed day pastor."

"You as well Evangeline, you as well."

Walking back to the car and seeing what I saw would have made the angels cry... Hope and Nicholas were huddled together in the back seat, asleep. I decided we would just go to my house and relax, maybe going to ms. Mary's wouldn't be a good idea right now...

The drive home was quiet but that could be good or bad. I could feel their pain radiating off of them. Nicholas had woken up and I had told him what the new plan was, he just nodded as we pulled up to my home.

"I'll carry hope, you just lead the way." He said smiling softly. The walk up was quiet as the whole night had been so far, as expected