one

Rain. It covered every inch of my body, my hair, my eyelashes, and every last one of my belongings. And the worst part was, it didn't look like it was stopping. My car had broken down a solid 20 minutes back down the road, and my phone had died before that too. At least the rain could camouflage the myriad of tears that streamed down my face. I kept walking, and walking, hoping someone would see me.

I kept walking and walking. Shuffling my feet, one after the other. I was sopping wet, but I had no clue where I was and how I was going to get home.

"Ella?"

A voice called out to me. It dawned on me that I must wandered back into my section of town. How long had I been out in the rain like this? I turned to look behind me, and it was none other than my best friend, Niall. I smiled back meekly.

"Ella? What the hell are you doing out here like this? Come in, you're going to get hypothermia."

I climbed into his car. It was cozy and comfortable, just like Niall himself. The familiarity of the space gave me the sense of warmth and security I had lost just a few hours prior. I tossed my backpack and purse into the backseat and fiddled with the heat dial on the front console of the car. As he began to pull onto the road again, he turned to look at me with a stern, yet caring glare.

"Now why in gods name were you wandering the streets like that? Someone could've picked you up! It's 7 o'clock the crackheads are starting to come out! Are you mad?"

He stopped.

"Are you crying?"

Niall pulled over again.

"What's wrong love?"

I didn't respond. I reached behind me and grabbed my jacket. I was still absolutely freezing. Niall glanced back too.

"Why is all of your stuff in the back?"

I started sobbing again.

"Ella what the hell is going on? I thought you were living with Justin?"

At the very mention of his name, I turned into a flustered mess. But this time, the rain wasn't there to mask my tears.

"H-He.."

"He what, El?"

"I-I-I caught him ... cheating on me," I choked out the words. Who would've thought? Me, Ella Robin Johnston, the school's student body vice-president, would've had trouble speaking. For god's sake, I give speeches to the entire school, school board, and PTA at least twice a week, and I couldn't even get out a sentence to my very best friend.

I'm more pathetic than I thought I was.

{Authors Note}

hey, it's a bit short, but it's perfect enough for an intro :)