The Stars

It's quiet. Still. Peaceful. The silence is rhythmically broken by the gentle lapping of the waves upon the rocky shore and the chirping of the crickets. If you listen very carefully you can just make out the soft murmur of voices and the crackling fire back up at camp. The air is clean and fresh out here, even more so because of the light breeze blowing up off the lake. The sky is clear and the stars are bright, the Milky Way perfectly framed by the mountains on both sides of the beach. It all seems so perfect, unmarred by the passage of time. This is my childhood. This beach was and is my favorite playground. I learned to ski here. Behind the boat on the farthest buoy. When I first slid my feet into the boots of those trainer skis, I had no idea what I was starting. I didn't know I would face so much pain and sorrow between here and there. Nor did any of us know that our seven would soon become six. I miss him the most. I think he would love you and encourage you in much the same way as he did with me. I wasn't his daughter, but he treated me like I was. I wouldn't be the young woman you see now without him. He was a pure soul who was as loving and genuine as he was goofy and mischievous. He was a bright light, a star in the darkness. The ones that give you hope and a sense of awe and humility. They make you feel small with their grandeur, but blessed to simply gaze upon their beauty. It's like falling in love with someone. They're hard to understand and sometimes they make you feel a little small, but when you look at them you see their true beauty. I look at the stars because in them I see the beauty in the darkness that I struggle to see in myself. It's easier to see the light in everything else when your mind is clouded in darkness. The stars remind me that the night is beautiful, even though many are afraid of the dark. In the starlight I see that even though I fear my darkness, there is still hope and peace.