Joy

If you were to ask me what joy is, my answer would not be one single thing, place, time, or person. It is many. The first thing that comes to mind is Maiden Rock. It has tied together so many of the joys in my life, and is my family's sanctuary and place of rest away from the outside world. The first image that comes to mind, however, is not at Maiden Rock itself. My brother's smile out on a tube behind our boat and his goofy laugh at all their antics while on the water. It is peace while we all read our own books, immersed in a world of our own, lead on harrowing adventures with the stroke of a pen. It's the mesmerizing crackle of the campfire accompanied by the light lapping of water against the rocky shore. It's lazing around in the sunshine with the gentle breeze keeping the heat from becoming too much. The feeling of skin stretched taut from being in the sun and wind all day. Hands that cramp and don't quite work well from holding on to a ski handle earlier in the day. Sore legs and arms from playing around on the jet ski, trying to catch air. It's the laughs and smiles of shared history and bad jokes and gratitude for what we've been given. It's mutual understanding and beliefs and shared interest in the silly little things that bond people together. It's recognizing songs on the radio and singing along with your friends. Discovering a favorite author and sharing their books with others. Rereading something from long ago to discover the familiar world contained within those pages. Joy is the feeling of gratitude, peace, and contentment that comes from loving people and loving adventure, even those contained in stories. It's the feeling of togetherness and acceptance that comes from truly being seen. That is what joy is to me.