Chapter 1

I sat in the brown chair that hurt my back when I sat in it. Mr. Ray went on and on about the Roman Empire as I tapped my adidas covered foot impatiently. I tapped my pencil against my leg in the rhythm of a song that I'm learning. I felt the eraser hit my thigh since I was wearing shorts and stared at the clock. I examined the classroom and something, more like someone, caught my eye. Jenson Ringer. He's not a football player or the hottest guy in school but I think he's pretty cute. He and I never really talk that much but a girl can dream. He was wearing basket ball shorts with a matching red shirt. He had shin high socks with cleats and I have to say, I didn't mind the view. His hair was gelled and wasn't the greatest. I always seemed to look past that and the fact that he makes fun of me sometimes. The bell finally rang and I picked up my binder and planner, put it in my black backpack, and slung it over my shoulders. I shoved my headphones in my ear and scrolled through my playlist. I clicked on Beethoven's ninth symphony and shoved my phone in my pocket as the sound of the music flooded into my ear and soothed my soul. I walked through the crowded halls and some of my friends waved to me but I usually walk alone. I'm not obsessed with music it's just something that I always think about all the time everyday. As I approached the orchestra room I instantly felt at piece. I shoved my backpack under my chair and walked into the storage room where the cellos, basses, and other extra instruments were held. I picked up the cell and brought it out into the room. While everyone was playing nonsense, I was laying out my music in the correct order and began to unwind the tuner cord. I pressed the red button and plucked each string. I twisted the knobs and made the strings the right tune. In the process of tightening my bow, I glanced at the clock and I had two minutes to practice. I had my class music and then my own music that was more advanced. Everyone thought I was weird which wasn't a big deal because normal is overrated. I set the bow in the middle of the bridge and the finger board and began playing the different notes laid out on the paper. A few people stopped and listened, surprisingly some people took videos. Mr. Gates always knew I was advanced and tried to convince me into solo and ensemble which I still can't decide if I wanna do. I don't wanna pretend I'm the best because I'm not, I'm just very dedicated. As my fingers moved swiftly across the strings, I heard the high and low sounds all staying in mezzo piano. This piece was difficult for many high schoolers but it wasn't that hard for me. I shook my hands steadily creating the beautiful sound of vibrato. I concluded my piece with a whole note in second position. Most of the class clapped but I honestly didn't care if they clapped or not. I just wanted to play.