Chapter One

Character : Macy Lewis

Age : 16

Hair : Blonde

Eyes : Green

Hight : 5'3

Personality : Daydreamer, friendly, brave, short temper, creative

Hobbies : Painting, exercising (but not really), and video games

Job Status : Employed at the local animal shelter

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I stroll down the sidewalk on my way to work, just like every other day. And also just like every other day, I see the shadow out of the corner of my eye. It's been there for as long as I can remember, always pointing somewhere.

I've never told anyone of course. For most of my childhood I thought it was just my shadow, but when I realized I had two I was a bit confused. By then I was old enough to know that seeing things that no one else can isn't something that people take lightly.

I tried to follow it once when I was 12. I ended up in the middle of the woods, and if the police hadn't found me when they did I would have died. Needless to say, I don't trust the shadow.  I mean, it did almost lead me to my death. After that day I started thinking of it as a constant, unwanted companion. I try to ignore it as much as I can these days, and I've found that with each passing year the pull towards it becomes weaker.

I'll be 17 in three months. I dropped out of high school about six months ago to take care of my mother. I know that I need my education, but I love her and I couldn't just leave her alone with a bunch of nurses who only care about a pay check. Things have been really hard on her since dad died 4 years ago.

I shake my head, trying to find something on the familiar path to focus on. I wave at the homeless man who always sits at the bus stop as I pass, making a mental note to bring him something to eat on my way back from work. I notice a small child plling her mothers hand, and I feel a pang of jealousy, which soon turns to guilt for being jelous of a little girl. I did have time like the one she's having now, even if it's overwhelmed by darker memories.

I turn a corner when suddenly I stop. I try to keep moving, but it's as if my legs are glued in place. The tugging hasn't been this strong ever since I ran away all those years ago.

I turn around slowly and what I see almost causes me to scream. There, standing in front of me, is my companion. I've never seen them face me before, it's always been through the corner of my eye. It looks so solid, but I know that's impossible.

It slowly raises it's arm, and points down a nearby alley. It turns and walks into the shaded space, obviously telling me to follow.

And for some strange reason, I do. I walk into a dark confined space with the one thing I promised never to trust. Part of my mind is screaming at me to run away from it as fast as I can, and I know that that is the most reasonable option, but my legs keep moving me forward anyways.

The alley became darker and darker as we came closer to the end. I walked closely behind the figure, soon entering a door. As soon as I walked through it, the shadow vanished. I looked everywhere, but it was nowhere to be seen.

The room I was in was pitch black, with only a dim light in the middle. The only thing visible was a palm sized orb on a table. I approached it slowly, soon realizing that inside was what looked to be a tiny planet, surrounded by stars. I don't quite understand how it was made, but whoever created it was a true artist.