✺ Chapter I

There are times when you just know something is absolutely, terribly wrong. You really just want to ignore the signs and warnings, convincing yourself. Even that voice inside your head reminds you that this won’t turn out well. Well, this was one of those times.

My sister, Amy, and I were running, basically for our lives. We grasped each others hands as we dashed through smoke and ash. Our bootspounded to the earth as we ran. Explosions occurred frequently all around our heads. I don't know what to do, i don'tknow what is happening, I don't know myself.

"It's the Elemersche! Kill them!" Some high-pitched woman voice screamed. Just as that woman screamed, Amy fell down. I turn back to help her but they are arriving. I don't know if I'm gonna help her or run cause they will kill me. I grabbed her hand and Amy screamed, I see her body bury down the sand of the pit. I did not do anything to save her then there's the gun shot. 

I ran as fast as I could and arrived at the town. Bodies are lying everywhere. I heard a shout, the same voice I heard earlier. I lay down imitating everyone. They arrived and pointed the sniper at my face. 

     I woke up with the sound of the gun, I realized that bullets of sweat  has been scattered all through pu my face. I wiped them clearly. That gun shot marks that its time to wake up for a day of harvesting but I won't be joining in since the Mayor called all sixteen year-olds to go to the grand stand for an urgent meeting. I got up and carried Ava, our cat downstairs. I made myself breakfast since I realized I was alone and they were gone, gone to the fields. After I ate my breakfast, I showered, dressed up and sat on the rocking chair in front of our house.

     Today is the "knock-at-your-death's-door day" for us sixteen year olds. Its the Garner Day where  a chosen citizen of a Ministry will choose four sixteen year olds to compete in the Quest. Once they had the Olympics, but the public got bored. The Officials invented the Animo Quest. How I wish i was a seventeen year old now. I don't want to die.

    "Hey, Iris!" I heard a shout. "Over here!" 

    I turn back and its Amy. I waved back. She smiled. I stood and walked through the fields. I felt the gentle breeze dance across my face, smelled the warm fragrance of flowers newly in bloom. I saw colorful butterflies dancing among the trees, weaving this way and that. The light reflected merrily off the water, inviting me in for a cool swim. But I can't. The smell of the fresh green leaves fill my nose. The children laughing and dancing covered the place. What if its the last chance I'll see this place? I hope not.

    "Where are you going?" She asked, scanning my outfit.

   "I'm going to die." I said. "I'm joking!" I said while laughing.

    "Whatever!" She sshouted.

    "Sorry." I said. "Where's mother?"

    "She left a while ago."

    "Where did she go?"

    "A meeting?" She said while looking for something below. "I don't know."

    "Oh okay. Bye!" I said.

   "Iris," She shouted. "Here." She said as she handed me a lily. I kissed her on the right cheek and I bid farewell. i put the flower on my right ear. 

      It was a sea of happy colors on the grand stand.I see Mayor Ysabella standing infront raising a brow forming an arc. Her hair this time purple as a lavender, her lips red as a roseblooming. I can see she wears a rainbow pin over her shoulder.

"Iris! Iris!! I'm over here!" Victoria, my friend, shouted. She was dazzling in her orange dress. We hugged each other; that is our trademark hugging each other as a sign of respect and gratitude. As soon as I was about to talk to her, the microphone squeaked and Pim Amperpoe, a representative from the Palace, spoke, 

"Good Morning! The time has come for a meeting with the sixteen year olds in our place, the time has come for the Nineteenth Animo Quest. The morbid quest is back and we suffered for the loss of seventy two sixteen year olds for the past eighteen years. We are truly against this idea of the Palace cos we, Sector D citizens, .. " 

"promise not to fight, back stab, hold a grudge to anyone each other no matter what in order to bring peace to the world." We continued to recite the Pledge to Peace.

I looked at Pim. Her eyes were dull, she was so worried. I can tell she doesn't want to do this again for seventh year in a row but she must. She continued speaking, "but it is a must. The  Ministry that will not participate will be the slaves of all sectors and we don't like that. Do we? We would not hold any event for which we would choose our contenders. The Palace needs four members of the sectors to participate. Four contenders means loss of four lives again.  The victors of the quest will receive a prize The Palace didn't say. Anyone who wish to participate may go at The Hall anytime up to tomorrow. Thank you. And oh, there are free cupcakes at the corner. One for everyone!" She chuckled.

I suddenly became nervous. I want to join the quest. Joining the quest means leaving your family behind, riskiing your own life and betraying the sector pledge. But if no one joined, we will be the slaves of  the sectors. I am confused. I grabbed my cupcake and took a bite. Yum, chocolate and mango. 

 "Hey, Iris. Are you joining the quest?" Victoria out of nowhere suddenly asked.

"I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. How about you?" I replied.

"Yes, I am. Gramps trained me when I was young so I know how to do many things and to defend myself. You should join! Who knows, you might be the champion!" 

I don't want the conversation to focus on me. I changed the topic.   

"Haha. Have you tried the cupcakes? They're beautiful!" 

"Yes. I made those!"

"Really? Wow, you're so great! I didn't know you make pastries! Teach me how to bake someday, kay?"

"Okay. Oh, I'm going to The Hall now. I'm applying for the The Animo Quest. See you when I see you." Victoria bid good bye as she ran towards The Hall. 

"Victoria wait. I'm going to join too." I said with fire in my eyes. I am brave. I am selfless. I am Iris Dimlight.

 "That's the spirit!" She vivaciously said.